Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going Rate for a PT Nanny in London?

(14 Posts)
Lentils Wed 04-Jul-07 11:35:32

Hi, I'm about to hire a babysitter/nanny to come over for 3 mornings a week. Can anyone tell me the going rate for nannies in London? She is quoting 9 pounds an hour for 2 children (one 3 yo and an 8 mo baby). Many thanks.

awayfromhome Wed 04-Jul-07 11:38:34

I pay my nanny £9 per hour for two children, one 3 year old and an 8 month old. So sounds reasonable to me

Lentils Wed 04-Jul-07 12:14:22

Thanks for that. Anyone else? Seems reasonable.

Furzella Wed 04-Jul-07 12:32:24

I pay a bit less than that - £8ish - but it sounds about right. Presume you're talking net, not gross.

fifilou Wed 04-Jul-07 12:37:49

sounds reasonable to me!(if net)

Lentils Wed 04-Jul-07 13:02:34

uh oh--I didn't get into that with her--net and gross. Do I need to pay taxeson 9 hours of pt work???

fifilou Wed 04-Jul-07 14:17:08

not sure....I dont think so?

Chattyhan Wed 04-Jul-07 14:20:00

no tax or national insurance if earning under Nannytax threshold which i think is £96 per week but if they have another job as well and go over this amount then tax has to be paid - usually by the family they work for most (i think)

Bounder Wed 04-Jul-07 15:38:45

If she has another job then you will have to pay tax at 22% on all the money you pay her (phone revenue and customs and register as employer, will be on simplified deductions scheme and the form you use is a P12). Unless you are paying her over the NI threshold - approx £92 per week - there is no NI to pay either employees or employers, which is something.
To be honest it`s not too onerous although you will get an avalanch of communications for employers throughout the year and have to do a year end return

Bounder Wed 04-Jul-07 15:39:52

In other words there is no need to have anything to do with the other employer, no need to get P45 etc - you just get her to fill in a P46

justaphase Wed 04-Jul-07 15:43:59

I think £9nph is on the expensive side. You want a lovely nanny with tons of experiense for that.

Bounder Wed 04-Jul-07 15:53:42

But it`s only a few hours, and it`s London, both of which would increase the hourly rate. I currently pay £8 per hour gross in the midlands (unqualified).

Chattyhan Thu 05-Jul-07 12:24:31

another resource for you is the company Nannytax - google them for a contact - they can answer all your questions about the financial side of employing a nanny.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 05-Jul-07 12:26:34

That sounds good. Have you looked into childminders or is that not suitable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now