Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny, Childminder, babysitter - what are the definitions?

(17 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Tue 03-Jul-07 14:47:03

I am in the process of finalising childcare arrangements for the summer for DS (4.5). The mother of one of DS's friends has found (by recommendation) someone who will look after both of them at either one of our houses.

So - I am pretty sure this is isn't childminding as it is not in her house, but is she a Nanny, a babysitter or something else - and does it matter? She has given us a straight £/hour rate which we will split 50/50 but I am starting to wonder if there are other issues I should be aware of.

I am meeting with her and the other mother tomorrow morning, so all pertinent questions which I should be asking would be welcome!

Thankyou wonderful childcare professionals [creepy gratitude emoticon]

Brushetta Tue 03-Jul-07 14:48:48

I think its a nanny share.

PinkChick Tue 03-Jul-07 14:49:30

dont know about the legal implications(someone will) but i would say she is a nanny?

stealthsquiggle Tue 03-Jul-07 15:11:25

So if she is a nanny but charging a straight (and very reasonable) rate per hour, is that OK - or do I need to worry about tax, NI, etc? We are only talking about a total of about 15 days over the summer as both boys will go to holiday clubs and the other mother and I both work ~4 days/week.

jura Tue 03-Jul-07 15:27:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stealthsquiggle Tue 03-Jul-07 16:38:29

That's what I was worried about - there are a couple of weeks when the total (from both of us) would be over £100. Bother. OK, I will ask her about it tomorrow.

NannyL Tue 03-Jul-07 17:04:15

shouldnt say this but i will

if this arranegment is ONLY for 15 days then you may be ablt to get away with cash in hand
[runs and hides]

Millarkie Tue 03-Jul-07 17:18:36

Oh how cheeky Nannyl

I agree with the others I'm afraid - she's a nanny and if you pay her over about £97 per week you are liable to pay tax and NI or take the chance of a £3k fine from the inland revenue.

KaySamuels Tue 03-Jul-07 17:31:59

If it is for a set amount of weeks and yo know how many hours you will need each week, could you not average it out over the x amount of weeks, so it does not exceed the weekly threshold?

nannynick Tue 03-Jul-07 19:25:27

You may find the following helpful:

Working As A Nanny In The Holidays

PAYE Thresholds - 2007/08 Tax Year

Rates and Allowances: National Insurance

nannynick Tue 03-Jul-07 19:25:38

Paying Someone For The First Time - a useful guide to a lot of tax matters

Simplified Deduction Scheme

NAB3 Tue 03-Jul-07 19:26:12

Nanny share. I have done 3 shares if you want to ask anything.

stealthsquiggle Tue 03-Jul-07 22:24:39

Thanks everyone. Massively helpful. Now all I have to do is to work out the answer!! If we averaged it over even the holiday it would be less than £97/week as there are some weeks we won't need her at all (this fluctuation was agreed up-front, BTW) - so if she can live with it and/or we pay her in advance so that it doesn't leave her out of pocket, I think that might be the way around it.

stealthsquiggle Wed 04-Jul-07 18:24:48

OK - I am still being a pain here - sorry, but just one last check:

Is it whether each family pays her over £97 a week, or whether between us we do?

(If it is each family then we are OK, if it is combined then I will pay her per month (in advance) and it will work out at less than £97/week )

NannyL Thu 05-Jul-07 19:23:04

its a total of the 2 of you.... not epr family (sorry)

cause after that threshold SHE will be earning enough to have to pay tax and NI etc

If it was only a few weeks i would be still be tempted to do cash in hand!

stealthsquiggle Thu 05-Jul-07 22:36:33

So am I - it will be cash in hand, I just want to make sure we are covered if anyone asks! I think the solution is to do it per month and then we are OK.

Thanks for your help.

NannyL Fri 06-Jul-07 18:29:15

also (to cover your self) you have 3 months to register as an employer (i THINK!)

if after 3 months you've herd nothing then you should be fine.... also so long as the nanny has anoterh job and is paying tax and NI etc normally some where then the inland rev arnt going to investigate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now