Talk

Advanced search

CM refusing tax free childcare

(118 Posts)
CCS83 Sun 03-Feb-19 15:32:56

Hi
So my CM who my son goes to full time is refusing to sign up to the tax free childcare account - I have offered to set the payments up so they go out a week to 10 days earlier than how I pay currently but still being refused.
My employer is phasing our vouchers and the tax free account is worth circa £200 a month to me so a massive amount to lose.
I may be wrong but I suspect her objections lie in the fact she doesn’t declare all her childminding income to HMRC. Now I’m not nieve I know it does go on but it is now having a huge effect on our finances?
My employers payroll has said most works will close vouchers soon and move everyone on to the tax free account to close the current loophole
Is threatening to pull my son unless she signs up too extreme?? We pay her more than our mortgage in fees so would be a significant drop in income for her??

OP’s posts: |
Smoggle Sun 03-Feb-19 15:34:53

If you want a provider that accepts a particular type of funding, and your current provider doesn't, then yes you will have to move.

TaimaandRanyasBestFriend Sun 03-Feb-19 15:37:38

I may be wrong but I suspect her objections lie in the fact she doesn’t declare all her childminding income to HMRC.

Yep, you'd be likely wrong. There are many threads on here about why CMs won't take them any more. It's a hassle. They are not legally bound to do so and most have plenty of business without them.

It's not her fault fees are high or higher than your mortgage.

She's trying to get rid of you so threatening to pull your son out will just be doing her a favour.

If I were running a CM business I wouldn't take any of these gimmicks.

You're fooling yourself if you think she'll suffer without your custom. And completely arrogant to assume she's fiddling her taxes.

Comefromaway Sun 03-Feb-19 15:39:04

That’s a lot of money to lose out on.

If I were in your situation I would definitely be looking for a childminder who is willing to sign up to the scheme.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 03-Feb-19 15:44:27

Who says she’ll be losing out? She’ll just get a new minded. Certainly round here we don’t have any trouble filling spaces.

Incidentally, you can see my thread below for the opposite side of things and what a pain they are.

flamingofridays Sun 03-Feb-19 15:46:47

If I were running a CM business I wouldn't take any of these gimmicks

Sorry, gimmicks?!
Its a simple system. She doesnt lose out what so ever or have to pay for it.

I wouldnt use a cm who made it purposely difficult for me.

Comefromaway Sun 03-Feb-19 15:46:56

It’s a lot of money for the OP to lose out on. £200 a month is what it is worth to her.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 03-Feb-19 15:48:05

Sorry I thought you meant the cm.

Comefromaway Sun 03-Feb-19 15:48:25

There have been issues flamingofridays with parents/employers paying into the account and then payments to the childcare providers being delayed.

SciFiScream Sun 03-Feb-19 15:49:44

Why is your employer phasing the vouchers out? You should challenge that. If you are already a member you can stay a member...

TaimaandRanyasBestFriend Sun 03-Feb-19 15:51:59

Then don't, flamingo, but plenty of CM businesses don't need to sign up to the scheme to support their businesses, that's their choice. One who is refusing to sign up to it doesn't need to and any client threatening her is likely to get the door shut in their face.

flamingofridays Sun 03-Feb-19 15:52:13

Maybe but its fairly new so any issues will likely get ironed out?

Also most cms get paid a month in advance so is a couple of days (prob not even that when op has said shell pay early) an issue?

flamingofridays Sun 03-Feb-19 15:53:33

It is their choice but it shows theyre only after £££££.

I dont use a cm anyway, i use a nursery who are reasonable.

insancerre Sun 03-Feb-19 15:53:33

She doesn’t have to accept the tax free payments
Seems like you will have to find a new childminder

icannotremember Sun 03-Feb-19 15:53:41

If I were running a CM business I wouldn't take any of these gimmicks.

I may be confused so apologies in advance if so, but are you referring to Tax Free Childcare as a gimmick and saying if you were a CM you would refuse to use it? That would be a fairly poor business decision!

TaimaandRanyasBestFriend Sun 03-Feb-19 15:54:11

It is an issue, flamingo, which is why some CMs and nurseries won't sign up. It's not up to them to deal with hiccups in the system, they're not obligated to do so and why would anyone sign up for extra faff when they can get by perfectly well without it.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 03-Feb-19 15:54:58

Would it be an issue for you to receive your wage late by ‘a day or two’ without warning? I have bills to pay so I wouldn’t suit me.

TaimaandRanyasBestFriend Sun 03-Feb-19 15:55:46

That would be a fairly poor business decision!

Not necessarily. In our area CMs and nurseries have long wait lists so can pick and choose their clients. It's a thing already that a lot of nurseries and CMs are not signing up for the scheme due to delays in payment and other problems.

nannynick Sun 03-Feb-19 15:56:53

For parents with one child where both parents get childcare vouchers the voucher scheme can be worth more than Tax-Free Childcare. So your employer should look carefully at why they want to phase out vouchers as it could be detrimental to some of their staff.

If TFC is better for you then yes I would change to that and if that means looking for another childcare provider then so be it. Your childminder is perfectly within their rights to dictate what payment methods they accept.

flamingofridays Sun 03-Feb-19 15:56:59

Well personally no a couple of days wouldn't matter to me and if i had my own business id like to think i wouldn't be down to my last £ the day before u expected my fees. But fair enough if people want to be funny about it theyre entitled to be but it is somewhat selfish and i do think generally a bad decision.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 03-Feb-19 15:57:53

Oohhhh! I thought I was doing as a favour! I forgot asking for money in return for my time and services was greedy! Tell me... do you work for free too?

Italiandreams Sun 03-Feb-19 15:58:25

I’m sure they are difficult so understand childminders point of view but don’t know anyone that can afford to not save £200 a month . It’s a ridiculous situation ( much like the free hours for 3 year olds but that’s a who different thread ...) This government are brilliant at gimmicks but not at thinking through the practicalities 🙄

Hwory Sun 03-Feb-19 15:58:45

The CM is running a fucking business not a charity. Only after money? What a bloody shocker.

flamingofridays Sun 03-Feb-19 15:59:30

Theyd still be getting the same amount if they used the TFC childcare system so hows it working for free?

CCS83 Sun 03-Feb-19 16:22:08

I might be wrong but she’s running a business - not doing it as a hobby/out of the goodness of her heart? That makes me her customer??

I have offered to pay almost 2 weeks early in case there is a delay on payments and also have said if it doesn’t work I would make up the shortfall? Still a no??

A lot of employers are closing the voucher scheme to new entrants and according to people I have spoken to this is happening all over - if I go on to have more children I wouldn’t be able to get vouchers so the account is the only way for us?

From my position all her no’s look like they are because she doesn’t want HMRC knowing what I pay her???

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in