Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm gives her own dd different food then her mindees - should I be concerened?

(25 Posts)
PanicPants Mon 02-Jul-07 19:38:42

Or just let it go?

When ds first started there the cm raved about how she always made healthy, nutritious meals, and how important a healthy diet was etc. And he always had such lovely meals there and ate well.

My fee includes meals.

But recently, we've noticed that some days ds is being given pizza/crisps/cakes/chocolate etc. AND that she uses a sticker chart (which I agree with) where they get a chocolate treat (which I don't agree with) if they get all the stickers all day.

But last week I began to notice that the cm is giving her own dd 'cookie' cereal and cocopops. And the others healthy cereal. So I'm waiting for ds to start wanting the sugary cereal instead.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with cm, but ds is only 2 and I really do have an issue with him eating rubbish.

What would you do?

ktmoomoo Mon 02-Jul-07 19:41:39

i used to be a cm and always gave the same food to all kiddies as my own , healthy food i would just wait a bit and see how it goes cm may turn funny with you

MaureenMLove Mon 02-Jul-07 19:47:24

Personally, I give my mindees exactly the same, but there are a few things that one particular mindee doesn't get, mainly because of her age, but also because I know the parents don't or haven't let her have them at home. I usually wait until the parent has said they've had it, until I let them have it in my house. For example, if they all have crisps on a picnic, this one has rice cakes instead, because that's what she has at home. Until, mum tells me she's had crisps, she won't have them.
The point I'm trying to make, it that maybe she doesn't think you'd approve or want her to give your lo those things, so she doesn't. Does that make sense!
BTW - yuk to chocolate breakfast cereal - no one gets that here!!

ktmoomoo Mon 02-Jul-07 19:49:18

i used to get the parents to fill out a sheet of food their child eats and wat they aloud and not aloud

TaylorsMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 19:50:33

personally,i would say she's allowed to give her dd whatever she wants in her own home.

you can talk to her about the food she's giving your ds if your not happy with it but i don't think you have to be concerned with what her dd is having.

PanicPants Mon 02-Jul-07 19:51:15

Yes, YUK to chocolate breakfast cereal!

Maybe I'll have a gentle word with her then.

PanicPants Mon 02-Jul-07 19:53:36

TaylorsMummy - yes you're right, which is why I'm in two minds whether or not to say anything. I just think if I was a child and I was eating the boring healthy stuff, I'd want the yummy chocolate rubbish instead, and that it's not fair.

I can see both sides - thats the problem.

goingfor3 Mon 02-Jul-07 19:55:19

I too say she can give her own child what she wants to eat but yes it's not fair if the others wnat it too. If you are not happy about what your son is eating then have a word with her.

Katymac Mon 02-Jul-07 19:55:48

My DD does eat differently to my mindees - however she is 9 and she knows she can only have different to what is on the table either before the mindees arrive or after they have left

EG if she wants a bagel for breakfast or soreen she has to get up & eat it before 7:30 and she often cooks her own tea after 6 when they have all left

It's an acceptable compromise - if she eats with the children she eats the same - no discussions no arguments

mumto3girls Mon 02-Jul-07 19:56:04

Panicpants - I know you're only thinking out loud, but don't get into the habit of thinking of healthy food as boring and choc as being nicer or he will copy that attitude.

drosophila Mon 02-Jul-07 19:57:49

Well I guess the problem is in your description - boring healthy stuff. It doesnt have to be boring nor does choc cereal have to be rubbish. What sort of breakfast does your child get?

ThePrisoner Mon 02-Jul-07 20:04:52

My mindees all bring their own food, so they obviously all have different things to eat - none of them seem to have a problem with seeing others eating different food, so that may not be a problem with your ds.

I think your CM can give her own child whatever she wants, but don't understand why she wouldn't stick to the healthier options - she obviously knows what they are! (I assume?)

I also think that you should say, very nicely, that you don't want your ds to eat the junk-type food. Does she actually know that you are not happy with junk food/chocolate being given in the first place? Would it be easier to send your own food?

mogs0 Mon 02-Jul-07 20:11:01

The chances are if your child hasn't had the food before he won't realise that he's missing out on something!!

Nightynight Mon 02-Jul-07 21:20:34

I would be more concerned if my child was getting the rubbish and her own child was getting the healthy cereal tbh!

Lazycow Tue 03-Jul-07 13:08:08

my cm has 4 children (1 her own) and they all bring their own food.

I'm pretty OK about ds greetting the odd biscuit/crisp etc while there but at home I've noticed that whenever ds gets crisps (tends to be goodie type) he often says 'no want mindee1 crisps' Also he had hula hoops for the first time ever recently and said 'ohhh mindee2 crisps' He also tends to say that about a lot of the 'treat' food he gets at home occasionally. I somehow think that the other mindees get more 'treats' than he does - poor thing !! He seems to accept it though. Life can be tough!!

kslatts Tue 03-Jul-07 13:53:42

I would only be concerned if my child was being fed unhealthy food, while cm's dd had healthy food.

PinkChick Tue 03-Jul-07 14:35:40

sorry i dont understand, is it because you feel your child may 'ask' for the stuff her own children are getting?
tbh my dd nor mindees ever get choc cereal, but i do give each child something different if i know one hates somethinga nd on loves something so they rarely have same meal anyway.
it may have been 'a treat' for her child?, i know dd would only get something like this in one of those mini packets say on hol or something?

gess Tue 03-Jul-07 14:41:52

I really don't think you can tell someone what to feed their own child. If your dd was being given sausages from a tin whilst CM dd was tucking into organic outdoor reared whatever, then maybe, but not this way round.

PanicPants Tue 03-Jul-07 14:42:29

I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I guess my main concern is that at first the cm was very very good at giving healthy, wholesome delcious food. But overall, it seems that more and more 'unhealthy' foods are creeping in. And while I don't think a treat now and again will do any harm, I don't want the trend to continue.

I do pay extra for her to provide foods and she cooks all the children the same. (Obviously, breakfast cereals being the exception!)

Also, we have a good relationship, and I'm very happy with her generally. Just the food issue.

Rubybees Tue 03-Jul-07 14:44:42

Unless you provide the food I feel your childminder should feed the children the same stuff. I only have 'heathly cereal' for my own children (I don't provide b/fast for mindies) and if they are running late one has a bowl of dried chocolate shreddies!!! Of which mum said she won't have milk, what my dd 2 looks at mindie very weirdly at this fact lol

enough of my gripes!!

Pizza is okay if HM, crisps we use goodies, cakes rare treat HM,
as for chocolate hehe I eat that all to myself thanks hehe

Rubybees Tue 03-Jul-07 14:45:23

oh hehe the mindie brings it from her house

PinkChick Tue 03-Jul-07 14:46:47

if you dont want your childs treat to be chocolate, id say something, suggest something else she could use?

JennaJ Tue 03-Jul-07 17:06:21

Personally if I were you I would have a nice friendly chat with the childminder saying something along the lines of...

" We are having a bit of an issue with food at the moment and dd keeps asking for treat foods all of the time when she is at home. I just want to reiterate (sp?) with you that Im really keen that dd sticks to a healthy diet all of the time and is only given 'treat' foods as a real treat occasionally.. Even if the other chidren eat crisps and biscuits regularly I would prefer dd to stick to the healthy option as much as possible"

That way you won't upset her

Jen

fingerwoman Tue 03-Jul-07 17:09:57

I would definitely taslk to her about all the junk food creeping in.
the cereal thing I don't think you can say much about,.

on a slight tangent- a sticker chart? at 2??? with a chocolate treat???????
my 2 yr old would so not "get" that at all, in any way- far too young

Pannacotta Fri 06-Jul-07 11:33:14

Agree with fingerwoman, junk food not what you want fed to your LO at that age and also find the sticker chart bit odd for that age...
Am not a CM but know my 2.5 yr old would not understand that at all either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now