Talk

Advanced search

I'm thinking of becoming a childminder... Unsure yet

(6 Posts)
biglips Fri 25-Jan-19 16:25:26

I'm atm studying level 2 children young people workforce with one day school nursery placement. Next week, Ill be starting a voluntary placement to gain classroom experience for myself.

I'm interested becoming a childminder.... How do I go about it? And do I need level 3 classroom experience?

I've got three kids age 14,10 & 6.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
FinallyFree123456789 Fri 25-Jan-19 16:38:44

There is a very helpful website called PACEY.
Also, if you contact your local council they can point you in the right direction.

I have Level 3 and was told that was enough - didn't ask about Level 2 so can't comment.
You also need first aid, a dbs check, liability insurance.
Do you own your own home? I rent and was not allowed to run a business from my property.

biglips Fri 25-Jan-19 19:52:46

Ooh thank you. Yes I have about ringing the council to find out more. Yes I do own my home. How did you managed or did u not do it?

FinallyFree123456789 Fri 25-Jan-19 20:03:03

I decided not to do it as there was so many regulations / paperwork that I would need to do - and the long days
I went back to being a nanny as it was better for me

Maryann1975 Tue 29-Jan-19 14:01:16

In answer to your question, I don’t think you would need level 3 classroom experience (is that a course title?), but a level 3 in under 8s care and education (what ever the surrender title is would be useful). As a childminder you’d be working in your own home, so completely different environment to a school.
Whilst the job is really rewarding in many ways, lots of people start childminding when there own children are young and then once their dc are similar age to yours now, they are looking at finishing and doing something else. I don’t know if that’s because they have done it for so long or because it doesn’t fit so well with having your own older dc. (The amount of ‘stuff’ I have in the house relating to my job is unreal- we’ve had baby stuff in the house for 13 years now and sometimes I just want to chuck it all away). Sometimes my dc want to be able to come in and chill in front of the tv quietly, but there are 6 small children trying to play with them, so they don’t ge the chance for any peace. But, they do get to come straight home because of my job (they would probably be going to after school club if I worked elsewhere so swings and roundabouts).
There are lots of threads already on here about the pros and cons of being a childminder so I won’t repeat what’s in all of them.
But phone your local council for information on how to register in your area.

biglips Sun 17-Feb-19 18:44:40

Thank you finally and Mary got your advices....I have been in touch with my local council which it made up my mind as I'm going to go for it.!!!......as is fits around my family perfectly x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in