Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is the normal arrangement if minder on holiday?

(40 Posts)
CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 21:56:06

Just a quicky

My childminder is going on holiday for a week this month and still charged us for it.
Is this the norm?
Still new to all this!

Haven't got copies of our contract either.....
Thanks

lunavix Sun 01-Jul-07 21:56:55

I personally charge half but I know some charge nothing.

I know noone who charges full.

lunavix Sun 01-Jul-07 21:57:55

Have you signed a contract, if so it should state whether or not she charges on it. I know you've said you don't have a copy, but do you remember?

If it's not in the contract or you don't have one/haven't signed one, you could contest it.

You SHOULD have a copy, btw.

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 21:58:25

Thanks I thought so
Seems steep esp as shes charged me for a full price full time week and my LO only starts full time from the week after next!

Katymac Sun 01-Jul-07 21:58:48

But the NCMA advise that all childminder charge for 4 weeks holiday (I charge for half - well 2 weeks nothing & 2 weeks full fee)

cece Sun 01-Jul-07 21:58:54

Yes you should have a copy and it should say what you agreed together. I don't pay anything.

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 21:59:38

I did sign a contract but can't remember all he ins and outs,
She gave me loads of stuff to take away read, sing and bring back and I think I gave her my copy of contract by mistake, only noticed now theres a problem Typical eh!

lunavix Sun 01-Jul-07 22:00:22

katy - really? noone around here would pay it. I'm the only person I know who charges anything at all - however I suppose mine works out the same as yours - full rate for 2 weeks = 4 at half!

lunavix Sun 01-Jul-07 22:01:58

ask for your copy back or to look at hers. If you've signed it and she's put that she charges unforunately there's not a lot you can do!

It may be the norm in your area...

If it's a huge problem, then at the next contract review (every 3-6 months usually) you could ask her if this is changeable. If you really can't afford it you may have to look elsewhere. Or book your holiday for the same times.

Katymac Sun 01-Jul-07 22:02:40

I close for 2 weeks then any extra I need is added on as & when (emergencies really - remember I have cover 95% of the time)

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 22:04:22

We won't be with her that long to be honest as shes pregnant.
Am a bit annoyed she didn't tell us this when she took my LO on but guess shes entitled to her privacy, Just a pain moving her on, and finding someone We're all happy with!

lunavix Sun 01-Jul-07 22:04:32

Is the 2 weeks you close for paid, or the rest?

maximummummy Sun 01-Jul-07 22:05:48

well i charge for my 4 weeks holiday @ full pay and the parents can take a further 4 weeks @ half-rate BUT we try and take just 4 weeks @ the same time - this is what the ncma advise so this is what i suggested to parent and i works for us - she gets paid holiday why shouldn't i ? Also if i didn't do this i'd have to put up my hourly rate .

Katymac Sun 01-Jul-07 22:05:49

2 weeks closed is free

Sounds like you will be moving on soon anyway - I'd start looking asap if I were you

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 22:08:32

Yeah we are looking our childminder has recommended a few with spaces & keeps saying she'll get us there phone numbers but still hasn't done it,
Think she doesn't want us to go before she was planning on finishing.

Katymac Sun 01-Jul-07 22:22:58

Good Luck - where are you can we find you a MN minder?

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 22:25:09

Cheers
Just put out another thread but I'm in Stafford.
tried meet ups and stuff before not many of us here I don't think
Just hope my childminders not on here now tho, won't take much to work it out eh!

CakeandFineWine Sun 01-Jul-07 22:40:37

Thanks all

Hate talking to people about money,
Will ask her for copy of contract x

Mum2Luke Mon 02-Jul-07 13:20:14

I wouldn't charge as I am not available and the parents tend to arrange hols the same time as my own so they have no childminding problems.

I know NCMA say charge but if the parents are on very low wages and some do not get paid 4 weeks if they are not in full-time, they cannot afford to pay me for my hols.

As for the contract copies, you should have had them at the end of your meeting so you can refer to them in case of any difficulty. I sign the contract and give the parents a copy straightaway for this reason.

andiepandie Mon 02-Jul-07 14:25:07

I'm a registered childminder and have also had 2 different childminders for my children when I was office working. Neither charged for their holidays but - 1 charged half fees when I was off and the other charged full fees.

Personally I would charge half fees for a parent holiday as a retainer for the place. For my (childminder) holidays it is a nominal fee of £20 just to cover any cost I incur ie groceries bill for month, insurance, registration fees etc.

andrea

MrsPuddleduck Mon 02-Jul-07 15:26:39

I am from Stafford

My childminder is going to charge me half fees for while I am on holiday (maximum 20 days a year) and wont charge me if she is on holiday.

I think that is fair.

andiepandie Mon 02-Jul-07 16:10:08

I am from stafford too !! I would agree that no charge for childminder holidays (or a nominal fee) and either half fees for parent holidays is reasonable .... however alot of childminders are advised to charge for both - I don't think this is good for parent childminder working relationships as it can cause parents to feel taken advantage of !

MrsPuddleduck Mon 02-Jul-07 16:34:49

You are right andipandi if the agreement is seen as fair from both sides you are going to get on better.

It is difficult enough to leave your small child, but if I felt that someone was making money out of the situation unfairly it would make the relationship difficult.

CakeandFineWine Mon 02-Jul-07 21:19:40

Hi again
asked her this morning and she doesn't charge she just made a mistake on the invoice!
impressed at how many stafford-ions there are on here now!

nooka Mon 02-Jul-07 21:31:57

Our new childminder charged us full price when we went on holiday (although for one week she was also away) and also when she went on holiday. Unfortunately the contract was a bit ambiguous, but I expected to pay half rate. We do feel taken advantage of to be honest, because she took time out during the school term (she has school aged children as do we) and so I had to take time off to look after my children but still pay her as well. We are looking to give her notice before the school holiday because we can't afford to pay her for six weeks when half of the time they won't even be with her. We'll have to find something else in September, but having thoguht that the childminder route would be cheaper and more flexible I am thinking about going back to having a nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now