Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: End Of School Year Churn

(8 Posts)
nannynick Sun 01-Jul-07 14:08:53

A childminder friend of mine and I were discussing End Of School Year Churn this week. So I thought it may be a good thing to discuss on here.

As the end of the school year approaches, children change schools, parents reassess their childcare requirements, and inevitably children leave childminders. As a nanny, my contract has been extended for another school year, but I have noticed quite a drop in enquiries for ad-hoc childcare (evening, weekend, overnight).

Katymac posted recently about children leaving, so I am wondering if anyone else is being affected by the End Of Year Churn. Have you been affected?

What can be done, if anything?

ThePrisoner Sun 01-Jul-07 14:15:36

Children moving schools (nursery to primary, primary to secondary etc) has affected me in the past but, luckily, it has also meant that I have enough notice to "sign up" new children!

It also still surprises me about the number of parents who panic in the last week of August when they suddenly realise that they have no before/after-school childcare in place.

MaureenMLove Sun 01-Jul-07 14:24:59

I'm only loosing one this year and tbh he is only a tiny bit of my income. He's after school only, 2 days, so only about 4 hours in all. Last year was a killer, nursery boy who was full time, started primary and mum decided to work around school hours. Should be ok for another year, but then I'm giving up! DD is at senior from September, so not so essential that I'm at home all day after that.
The after school trade has really tailed off round here, as many of the schools have breakfast/evening clubs now.

dmo Sun 01-Jul-07 17:01:07

i'm losing two children
1 11yr old moving onto high school
and one 4yr old moving to primary school

i am gaining another 4yr old after schooler in sepember to take over the 11yr olds p;ace and i am getting a baby from dec to take over the 4 yr olds place so i am quite lucky

also my best freind (who lives in the next street)is starting up as a childminder from september (she got her cert on saturday) and i have passed on all enquires to her so she is now full from sept

KaySamuels Sun 01-Jul-07 18:46:30

I am losing same as dmo an 11yr old, and a 4yr old. I also have a 14yr old who's doing mornings on her own now, who I don't expect to be coming for much longer.

I have a new baby mindee but still need another under 5 financially.

I have had three calls in last 3 weeks though (but were for schools out of my way), so I agree it's this time of year parents tend to assess thei childcare needs.

Piksiminx Sun 01-Jul-07 18:53:46

I am losing two aswell, a 10 yr old who's moving schools and so will be out of my area plus younger sibling. It has takem me 4 years to become "full" as there are so many minders aroun here.

Haven't had any enquiries what-so-ever for a long time either.

mogs0 Sun 01-Jul-07 19:30:35

I have 4 part-time pre-schoolers. 1 is definately leaving in August, 1 is starting nursery in September and although Mum said she'd still use me I can see her changing her mind before the holidays are over! Mindee3's mum is starting mat/leave in August and I have a feeling they won't need me which means I'll be left with mindee 4 who only somes for 5 hours a week (although those 5 hours are always a leasure!!)!

mogs0 Sun 01-Jul-07 19:30:38

I have 4 part-time pre-schoolers. 1 is definately leaving in August, 1 is starting nursery in September and although Mum said she'd still use me I can see her changing her mind before the holidays are over! Mindee3's mum is starting mat/leave in August and I have a feeling they won't need me which means I'll be left with mindee 4 who only somes for 5 hours a week (although those 5 hours are always a pleasure!!)!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: