Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help!! yr old mindee had frequent accidents...

(20 Posts)
chel86 Fri 29-Jun-07 16:03:00

I could really use some advice because I haven't a clue what to do anymore! My 5 yr old mindee keeps wetting herself. Her mum has told me she's fine at home, but her teacher and I are finding it difficult because she can get through 2-3 changes of clothes each day! I've tried a sticker chart, I regularly send her to the toilet, but it seems she has an extremely weak bladder! By the time I pick her up from school she has no clean clothes left, and then she smells (although I know it's a horrible thing to say). I don't want to stop her from sitting on the furniture, but on the other hand when she does sit on the furniture/carpet, that then starts to smell.

We've had a chat and she knows that she's to go to the toilet as soon as she needs it, but it doesn't seem to sink in. She never makes it there in time!

Any advice???

PinkChick Fri 29-Jun-07 16:04:08

could she have an infection?

chel86 Fri 29-Jun-07 16:07:47

I never thought of that... She hasn't complained of anything, but then that didn't pop in my mind to ask. This has been going on for a couple of months now though..

PinkChick Fri 29-Jun-07 16:09:25

i would tell parents to get her to gp to check, it may be that she 'cant' keep it in?..or maybe something is worrying her at school..it needs to be sorted cos we all know how cruel kids can be

Mum2Luke Fri 29-Jun-07 16:14:32

I have exactly the same problem with the 4 yr old mindee although I think its just laziness with him.

He starts school in sept and his parents and I have tried to encourage him but he keeps doing it. Even my 5 yr old son told him that the other children 'will be nasty' - this was overheard in the car I may add!

His Mum took him to his gp but he did not help either.

chel86 Fri 29-Jun-07 16:19:16

Just had a quick chat with her and she says it does hurt when she goes to the toilet, bless her, so will speak with her mum. But if there's not an infection and the GP won't help, then I'll have to have a think because, like you say, kids can be so cruel. My 3 yr old DS has been saying "what's that horrible smell" and I'm trying to be so dicreet and sensitive about the problem!

PinkChick Fri 29-Jun-07 16:25:34

can you get in some wipes, even the adult ones like fem fresh so she can have a wipe down when she gets in? even tell her mum to get her some to take to school?

mumto3girls Fri 29-Jun-07 16:30:49

My dd2 used to wet herself alot at that age, she never complained of it hurting..but when we got it checked out she did have an infection (although she did still have the odd lazy accident after that was sorted)She never wanted to miss anything.

I know exactly what you mean about the smell - she used to climb on my knee and after a few seconds I'd realise she stank and have to throw her in the bath!

I would try and get her mum to leave you wipes and spare pants/clothes at your house and also MAKE her go and try every 30 mins or so. Hopefuly this nagging will get her more interested in going of her own volition.

Rubybees Fri 29-Jun-07 17:08:31

My friend dd went through this, she has no problems at home (or mine come to think of it) but a school she froze and was coming home everyday bless her

Although she did have major issues and has since been dignosed with selective mutiusm, hopefully through this case is of an infection eh!!

allthatglisters Mon 02-Jul-07 10:45:02

My mindee had this. Treatment for constipation was the cure.

chel86 Wed 04-Jul-07 18:17:17

Thank you all for your advice.

Unfortunately my mindee's parent has approached the situation by sticking her in pull ups / nappies. So now I have to approach her because I don't agree with this!

mumto3girls Wed 04-Jul-07 18:22:34

Oh dear - a step backwards methinks and no good at all for a child of that age that has no physical problems.

chel86 Wed 04-Jul-07 18:28:50

exactly what I think and the school's not too impressed either. I'll have to have a chat with her and see if we can come up with a solution that will help the situation

PinkChick Wed 04-Jul-07 19:57:57

they have put a 5 yr old child in full time ed in pullups!?they need shaking!, totally ignoring the issue and their poor poor daughter will be ridaculed even more now

chel86 Fri 06-Jul-07 13:54:37

Well, mindee has seen GP now and they are doing tests, thank god. And I've managed to persuade the mum to get her out of the nappies. Yesterday she was dry all day... Hooray!!! But just in case I have bought some small incontinence pads incase she takes steps backwards again. Just to stop any comments from kids at school about any smells. Good or bad idea...?

PinkChick Fri 06-Jul-07 14:39:44

thats good, and the pads are better than nappies so are at least a way of sparing her dignity even at that age.
well done for following it up and being such a wonderful childminder

chel86 Wed 11-Jul-07 19:28:13

Ah, thank you! I was touched by your last comment PinkChick!

PinkChick Wed 11-Jul-07 19:29:44

ah, you are tho, you are more concerned with the whole issue not just the inconvenience of it like the parents seem to be.Hope shes getting better?

popmum Wed 11-Jul-07 19:37:18

what does she drink at your house? juice/squash? because in my DD aged 4 anything other than water seems to go straight through and acts as a directic (sp?) ? Takes about 1-2 weeks to work but could be worth looking at?

chel86 Thu 12-Jul-07 16:38:35

She drinks only water at mine, as do all the kids, and the same at school. She was doing well at the beginning of this week and lots of praise for doing well, but yesterday and today she's had a number of accidents again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now