Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nosey Question for Childminders

(27 Posts)
seb1 Tue 26-Jun-07 18:05:09

How long have you all been childminding? Thinking about becoming one but wondered how long you have all being doing this. And when you started it did you think you would last this long.

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 26-Jun-07 18:08:49

Only been a cm since January but was a nanny for 14 years before that. Became one because I had ds and wanted to stay at home with him and not take him to other peoples houses to look after children. I can see myself doing this at least until he goes to school and hopefully longer.

KaySamuels Tue 26-Jun-07 18:15:17

I've been minding 2yrs and 3months, some days I think I will cm forever, other days I think I will call it a day when ds is at school. I love childminding the kids and being my own boss - it's the paperwork and ofsted don't like! I think you have to be passionate about it to keep doing it tbh! Which I generally am honest!!

mogs0 Tue 26-Jun-07 18:28:36

I've been minding for a year and a half and was a nanny for 8 years before that.

As long as the paperwork doesn't increase anymore then I'll carry on minding as it suits me perfectly!

S88AHG Tue 26-Jun-07 18:28:52

I have been a CM for 2 and a half years and have just filled all my vacancies and I have been trying to, dont know if thats what you wanted to hear but I would suss out how many CM s are in your area first and what they charge etc so you have the full picture. Not trying to put you off just giving realistic view, if I could have at lleast 2 under 5 all the time would CM forever I reckon they are more fun than schoolies

jellyjelly Tue 26-Jun-07 18:30:48

I was a childminder (worked for 18 months)until i became a single parent so had to give up but i would have carried on as it gave me the oportunity to stay with my son.

Now work in a school and love it. Am Happy with the choice i had to make but still miss ds sometimes and wish i could spend more time with him.

ThePrisoner Tue 26-Jun-07 18:35:27

Have been childminding for nearly 14 years, and have been informed by all my minding parents that I will be expected to continue until all their children turn 16! I'm not sure whether I can still do this and claim my pension at the same time ...

mogs0 Tue 26-Jun-07 18:35:34

jellybelly - I am a single parent too and cming is the financially the best job I could do at the mo because of all the dis-regards. If you want any more info you can email me if you like!

gooseegg Tue 26-Jun-07 18:49:32

Almost four years for me and hopefully for a good few years yet.

The satisfaction of being self employed plus being valued by parents and children is enormous.

star1976 Tue 26-Jun-07 19:00:08

I've been registered for 10 months and actively minding for 7 months.

At the moment I love it, and don't want to to stop when my DS starts school (not for over 3 years so not too worried at the moment). DP tells me that when DS does start school I have to get a 'proper job'!!!!

Still strugling financially at the moment to be honest, with two under 5 mindees (both 30 hours) and one schoolie just 2 nights a week. If I can fill the rest of my vacancies then I will be just fine!

And being at home with DS and being able to take and collect DD from school is great! Also think it is good that DD can invite friends round for dinner and stuff (they are mostly over 8 and I have the spaces anyway) which she could never do when I worked full time before DS came along.

Everyone is happier this way (except DP but he's hardly here when kids are)!

dmo Tue 26-Jun-07 19:08:13

i've been a childminder for 5 yrs now before that i was a nursery nurse for 13yrs and i so perfer working for myself
i am on more money per week than my dh but i do work longer hours
could see myself doing this for a far few more yrs yet
my boys are 10 and 11 so might all change when eldest gets to high school

FeelingOld Tue 26-Jun-07 20:54:39

I have been cminding for 3 years and I love my job (well most of the time anyway), I have a few friends who are childminders and we support each other which I think is really important.
I do intend to carry on as long as I enjoy doing the job so there is no telling how long that will be really.

tigersmum Wed 27-Jun-07 08:38:52

I have been doing this for 11 years and most of the time is great but at the moment am having a bit of a wobble so not very happy with it. Too much pressure and not enough support.

saltire Wed 27-Jun-07 09:02:25

I started c'minding when DS2 was about 8 months old. My original plan was to do it until he started school - well he's 7 1/2 now and I'm still doing it, although I've just moved and unable to get registered just now.
I didn't think it would last this long, but it's worked out ok, my DH is in the military, so it's handy when he's away as I'm not worrying about needing childcare myself. Also I can choose to work when I want - for example if I decided I only wanted to after school children, having my days to do something else then I can. I enjoyed it in Scotland, but i just feel it's getting too much work now, all these rules and regualations and paperwork.

moonstar04 Wed 27-Jun-07 09:03:06

I love minding and have been doing it for just under one year now.

I will continue this for as long as I can although the future is worrying me.

My hubbie and I may be separating in the near future and the financial aspects really worry me.

mogs0 you say that as a single parent minding is viable because of the disregards. I think I will have to do some research so that I am fully prepared just in case scenario.

ayla99 Wed 27-Jun-07 11:45:19

Over 6 years now, originally planned to be long-term & fully intend to continue. I love my job and can't see myself working for anyone else again.

BradfordMum Wed 27-Jun-07 13:07:25

14 yrs in sept. I began as a friends nanny let her in the lurch - so I registered purely to look after her son. Word soon got round I I was inundated with requests. Never looked back!

Sally x

jellyjelly Wed 27-Jun-07 20:43:16

Thanks mogs but i gave it up and i now have a job that is good. I done my sums and i couldnt have coped with it - i had to get a mortgage that is 18 times my salary so never could have managed.

blodwen Wed 27-Jun-07 22:18:46

Almost 17 years for me... but only 3 weeks to go then stopping . It's been a lovely job for me.

alibubbles Thu 28-Jun-07 09:41:10

21 years and still love it, especially when a new baby comes along. I have a new 6 month old just started and one mindie who is leaving this summer has a mum expecting a new baby, just right for September next year!

alibubbles Thu 28-Jun-07 09:43:06

Childminding has paid my childrens' school fees for over 10 years. I work term time only. 8-4.30.

badgerhead Thu 28-Jun-07 11:40:35

I have been minding for 12 years and still love it. It gives our family a good standard of living with the benefit of me being at home for my dd's, who seem to want me more the older they get lol!
I anticiapte carrying on for another 5 years at least.

fedupwithallthispaperwork Thu 28-Jun-07 12:38:53

5 years at christmas. its my career, i love it and i get to be there for my kids before and after school. i also enjoy being in my own home. moneys good to.

MrsWeasley Thu 28-Jun-07 12:49:39

I've been minding for 12 years this month! Time for a change now but it enabled me to stay at home with DC.

alibubbles Thu 28-Jun-07 13:22:27

badgerhead, I agree, my DS and DD are 20 & 21, the last 5 years have been the most needy and the most expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now