Advanced search

Looking for childminder who can do school run

(5 Posts)
reddilata Mon 03-Dec-18 12:04:34

Hello all,

I moved to Sutton recently. My both kids got admission in Cheap Junior academy as there was no school place available in schools near my area.
So I am looking for childminder who can drop my both children(10 years and 4 years) at school in the morning to be picked up from home- SM26GE around 8.20 am and drop at school.
In the afternoon they need to be picked up at 3.10 from Cheam Junior Academy.
Really appreciate if you can share contact # of childminder providing such services.
Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
nannynick Mon 03-Dec-18 16:38:54

You may get lucky and someone local to you will see this and be able to recommend a childminder.

However if that does not happen, then you can find a list of Registered Childminders on the Sutton Family Information Service website (not all childminders will be listed, call Sutton FIS 020 8770 6000 for full list):

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 08-Dec-18 12:42:00

I don't think you'll be likely to find a childminder to pick up from your home!
You'd then be looking at a nanny you'd need to employ. I'd be looking at babysitters to be honest as childminder and nanny would both want to be paid for a while day when doing morning drop off and pick ups. Or a taxi service.

xyzandabc Sat 08-Dec-18 13:12:05

Childminders look after children in their own homes, the parents usually drop them off to the childminder's house and then pick them up later.

It's unlikely you will find a childminder willing to collect from your house because they will have several mindees at their house already waiting to go on the school run.

Likewise in the evenings, if you need them dropping off to you, a childminder is unlikely to be able to do this because they will have multiple mindees at their house waiting to be collected by their parents.

If you are unable to drop off or pick up from the childminders, you're probably looking more for a mothers help or babysitter type arrangement, or even an aupair if you have the room for one?. A nanny wouldn't do just school run hours. Assuming the school doesn't have a before or afterschool club??

itsaboojum Sun 09-Dec-18 09:32:59

Some childminders will do home pick up and drop off, but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

Contrary to one of the earlier comments, childminders do not usually charge for a full day while a school aged child is in school. Some, by no means all, will charge in the case of a child being in nursery especially if the childminder remains 'on call' to pick them up in an emergency during nursery hours. Childminders normally charge by the hour or have a flat rate for school runs.

IIUC you’re seeking a door-to-door service between home, school and back again. Many childcare providers will shun that because it doesn’t allow time to build up a relationship with the children involved, while simultaneously disrupting the way they care for other children. It can also result in the unwanted side effect of every parent wanting home pick up/drop off, or accusing the childminder of favouritism.

The far greater problem is that some local authorities consider what you’re asking for is a taxi service, rather than childcare. Some local authorities require childcare providers who offer that 'taxi service' to register as licensed cabs, which is prohibitively expensive.

As mentioned, that leaves you with either a nanny or babysitter. Be aware that some, but not all nannies are Ofsted registered, and Ofsted do not have any sort of dealings with babysitters. You need to use a registered provider in order to make use of any financial help such as childcare vouchers, Tax Free Childcare, or the childcare element of tax credits.

Be very cautious with unregistered childcare, as you’re essentially allowing a stranger lone access to your children with no background checks. They may also be invalidating their motor insurance by taking money to drive children to school, unless they have a proper commercial or specialist childcarer's policy; IOW they would be uninsured in the event of an accident.

Be aware that you will remain entirely responsible for your children if you place them with a non-registered person because they cannot legally be responsible for someone else’s children. That means that if, god forbid, they are harmed or involved in an accident, you may get a call from social services.

This all means you need to make a lot of thorough checks, references, and demand to see documentation above and beyond what parents normally need when seeking childcare.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in