Talk

Advanced search

Experience of using a childminder ?

(9 Posts)
Shazzyj87 Tue 28-Aug-18 21:37:38

Hi I was hoping to get some insight into what it's like to send a nine month old to a childminder. My daughter has just started nursery for two days per week and as I'm a single parent who'll be studying soon I was looking at sending her one day per week to a childminder. What's people's experiences like? Did your child enjoy going and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance !

OP’s posts: |
Mymadworld Tue 28-Aug-18 21:59:51

My DS went to a childminder at 11months some years ago & I'm now a childminder so can give both perspectives. IMO if you find a good childminder it should be a bit like being st home (outings, playgroups, park, home cooked food, cuddles, cot to sleep in etc) but busier as there will be other children there and often includes a twice daily school run - don't be put off by this my DS and now my minders absolutely love getting the older ones from school. There should be an educational element as childminders follow the early years framework, but I would focus more on finding a caring, warm and loving person than worrying too much whether they can tick Ofsted's boxes.

There are pros and cons to all childcare settings but I preferred a more homely environment for my DS when he was very little and my own childminder influenced my decision to follow her line of work after dc2 arrived.

AC14MUZ Wed 29-Aug-18 11:20:39

My DS1 when to a childminder from 10 months when I went back to work. I looked at both childminders and nursery but I preferred a more homely setting was DS1 was so young. I looked at over 10 childminders and the one I settled on in the end was beyond amazing. I even started setting up my home to mirror hers as she had it just right. She also didn't have too many children so I felt that the care was really focused.

If you find the right childminder I think it can be a wonderful experience for your little one. Depending on where you are I can recommend you mine.

Gook luck OP

BlueChampagne Wed 29-Aug-18 14:38:38

Both mine went to a home-from-home childminder (husband and wife team) from 6 months, as I went back to work. It truly was a home from home for them and they loved it. They want to catch up with CMs if they see them now they're 8 and 11.

Maryann1975 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:32:13

Do you mean taking your dd out of nursery to go to the cms or are you planning to use nursery two days a week and a cm for one day? At 9 months, I think continuity is really important and think your dd would do better with all three of her days in the same place. I’m a cm, so obviously will say a cm, if you can find one who you like and trust, is a better option.
I run my setting much like I ran my home when my dc were little. Opportunities to meet up with other dc and their carers, crafts and activities, both in and outside. Lots of free play, with counting, colours, mark making, sand, water, paints etc mixed in. Lots of playing outside, in the garden, at the park, in the forest.
And then, when they are 4 and it’s time for them to start school, I feel a bit sad, that their time with me is ending and (hopefully) I will only be seeing them before and after school. But then, when the reception teacher tells me (again) that the child I have sent in is really settled, ahead of a lot of their peers in school readiness and is pleasure to have in the classroom, I know I’ve done a good job and that the parents made a good choice.
(That turned into a bit of a stealth boast, apologies, but I’m always super proud of my tribe when I get comments like that).

HSMMaCM Wed 29-Aug-18 22:40:16

I would recommend 3 days at nursery, or 3 days at a childminder. This would help your child settle in best. I think you are planning 2+1 days - apologies if I misunderstood.

BackforGood Thu 30-Aug-18 00:07:04

Not sure specifically what you are asking.
All mine went to CMers fom when I first went back to work when they were tiny (^rather than^ Nurseries, not as well as).
I chose CMers as it was as close to a home environment as could be.
They went out and about every day - would start by taking other dc to school then head off to park or library or toddler group or a shop or nip to the bank, etc. as you would if you were at home with them.
After school, they would have older children who always loved to play with the little ones.
For various reasons (house moves - mine and theirs) and other different reason, I've used a few childminders, and without fail they have been great. My (now adult) dc have fond memories of their time with the child minders who looked after them.

itsaboojum Fri 31-Aug-18 09:59:11

Going against the grain here. In general, the children in childcare whom I’ve seen thrive and develop best have nearly always been those who use a combination of childminder plus group setting (ie childminder + nursery/Preschool.) I must add, this means using a Childminder properly, not just as a runaround to take to and from nursery.

jannier Fri 31-Aug-18 14:11:14

I network with other cms and have 2 assistants we meet up about 4 time a week at groups etc and divide te room so children get familiar with several adults and will ask for support (a transition to school step that many think only a nursery can provide) the children build relationships with about 20 children and develop skills to deal with a variety of age groups as they will in a school playground, the mixed age is more natural and encourages responsibility and caring in older children and good role models encouraging trying new skills and speech from the younger ones. They build friends for life I have regular visits from ex mindees who are friends with each other 20 years later.
Families tend to stay from being babies through school until they no longer need childcare.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in