Talk

Advanced search

Argh! Late parents!

(13 Posts)
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 16-Aug-18 18:05:14

Why oh why can’t people just be on time? Or if it can’t be helped, at least call?

I’m doing some holiday cover for another cm’s minder this week and they are supposed to have been here at 5.45pm. Not a peep from them so far.

So rude angry

OP’s posts: |
llangennith Thu 16-Aug-18 18:16:30

Most CMs charge a fine for every 15mins late to avoid this.

TheFaerieQueene Thu 16-Aug-18 18:24:22

I suppose the only excuse is they are driving so can’t use their phone, but it is very annoying. Hope they arrive soon.

Graphista Thu 16-Aug-18 18:26:24

Used to childmind - feel your pain - charging by the half hour/fining is your friend and if they're still cf let them know this could mean they end up without a minder.

Not easy to find good ones so that should focus their attention.

PotteryLady Thu 16-Aug-18 18:41:15

Just fine them - not acceptable

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 16-Aug-18 18:41:19

It’s just a week’s cover, I don’t have a contract with them and my usual families aren’t so disrespectful.

I’ll know for next time and just say I’m full.

They’ve collected now and not so much as a sorry

Graphista Thu 16-Aug-18 19:19:14

I seriously wonder if the majority of today's younger adults have been raised with no bloody manners!

Answer invites, turn up on time to pre-arranged events and if you can't APOLOGISE.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 16-Aug-18 19:48:16

Actually these parents are older than me....

Graphista Thu 16-Aug-18 21:00:51

But I bet they're younger than me - 46

jannier Thu 16-Aug-18 22:23:13

I would still charge. Late fees now are £1 a minute after 6.

itsaboojum Fri 17-Aug-18 09:19:58

How can she charge a late fee when there's no contract? There is no agreement that late charges are payable, and she has no way of applying sanctions in order to enforce it.

For that matter, there are no contracted drop off and pick up times, so it’s impossible from a legal/contractual point of view to even say they were late.

jannier Fri 17-Aug-18 10:59:40

You don't have to have a written contract its easier and best practice but not a must. You say to family our agreed time was x can you meet this or not ...assuming your happy to extend hours offer longer for more money then add but if your later than that I'm charging y...add together all additional hours worked and say Ive done this much extra hours which I will charge at my hourly rate so you now owe £.
In future always have a contract. Charge a late collection fee that makes them decide its better to be on time than shop on the way home.

itsaboojum Fri 17-Aug-18 14:21:10

Jannier, as a general point I agree absolutely. But the OP doesn’t seem to have had any such arrangement in place prior to the 'poo/fan interface event'. I fear it may be too late to do much beyond accepting this is part of the learning curve.

The OP was stiffed because she had nothing in place to deter the parents from stiffing her, and some people just see that as an open invitation.

The lesson for the future is: never start any arrangement, no matter how temporary, without a clear written contract, full payment in advance, and a large enough deposit to cover any additional charges they might incur.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in