Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder putting child forward facing...

(18 Posts)
WhirlingTurkey Fri 10-Aug-18 13:36:47

I recently found out that my child has been travelling in my childminder's car in a forward facing seat. Child is currently RF in my car, which childminder is aware of. When child started in the setting we discussed car seats, and childminder assured me that she had - and would use - RF seat. In fact I know she does have RF seat/s as child definitely used to travel RF in her car.

She doesn't take mindees out in the car very often, so I don't know if I should raise it or leave it. I don't want to be precious. I just wondered if other childminders would check this sort of thing with a parent before making the switch? And would other parents expect to be consulted? Because we had discussed it and she knows child is currently RF I thought it may have been mentioned.

Child is a little over 2 y.o. if that makes any difference. We plan to RF as long as possible.

itbemay Fri 10-Aug-18 13:41:30

I think the new guidance is that from 2 years old is ok FF as long as child meets height / weight requirement. If she doesn't do it often I personally wouldn't have expected to be consulted.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 13:46:35

From 15m you are allowed to FF. I wouldn’t expect someone else to do that for my child. Maybe she has a younger one who needs the chair now?

ForeverBubblegum Fri 10-Aug-18 13:53:03

She probably had younger children start, so had a reshuffle on who sits where. Unless you would be willing to provide a rear facer I would probably leave it.

My DS rear faces at home, but occasional ff trip's wouldn't bother me as long as it's not long distance or motorway driving.

Figgygal Fri 10-Aug-18 13:56:08

Her car her rules she's not doing anything wrong with the ff seat.
If you don't like it ask her if you can provide your own seat or find another cm who will do this.

jannier Fri 10-Aug-18 14:14:01

I don't provide rf seats parents do I also make it clear I can only accommodate 2 rf seats in my car as we have to access the rear 2seats for other children and I need to be able to get them out quickly in an accident not be unthreading cumbersome seats. Priority goes to the youngest/smallest children.

Was it a recent discussion or when baby was in a first stage carrier she may have assumed that is what you meant?

DrWhy Fri 10-Aug-18 14:17:24

I would absolutely expect to be consulted, it is far safer to be rear facing and quite possible until around 4. I would be willing to provide a seat but if the childminder was determined to take on another child that meant she could no longer accommodate mine RF then I’d be looking for a new one - unless perhaps it was really very occasional trips.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 14:19:51

‘Determined to take on another child’

You do understand this is the essence of what a childminder does don’t you?grin

hibbledibble Fri 10-Aug-18 15:33:59

I think you need to provide an extended rear facing seat, if you expect the childminder to use one, though discuss with her first as you need to check if there is space in her car.

For short journeys I wouldn't say anything though.

WhirlingTurkey Fri 10-Aug-18 15:50:16

Thanks ladies. To clarify she does have extended rear facing seats, and she knows my child is still RF in an extended RF seat. My child was the only one in the car at the time. I absolutely appreciate that if she has younger children in the car then the priority to RF should be with them. I also understand she wasn't breaking the law due to child's age. If she had ever asked me to provide an additional RF seat then I would have (we have had this discussion).

I'm not necessarily that bothered about him RF occasionally if necessary, I suppose I was more surprised that she didn't at least mention it to check it was OK. Plus a little odd as he was the only child in the car at the time so could have been RF.

Thanks for some varied perspectives.

underneaththeash Fri 10-Aug-18 15:55:30

I suspect she's just forgotten that you'd asked for them to be RF. I would mention it in a ..would you mind putting xx in a rear facing seat if it's possible...way.

HSMMaCM Sat 11-Aug-18 03:15:22

If your child started before 15 months, then she would have rightly assured you they would be RF. she may have put them FF when they were older, so she can see them in her rear view mirror while driving and not thought to consult you about a natural change in seating.

Just say to her "whenever you have a RF seat free, could you please use it for my child" and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Greenyogagirl Sat 11-Aug-18 03:21:10

Sorry to be thick but when an older child is in a rf seat, where do their legs go?

HSMMaCM Sat 11-Aug-18 06:46:10

Here's a google image

Mindchilder Sat 11-Aug-18 06:53:36

I think it's just so unusual for a 2 year old to still be rear facing that it didn't seem like an issue to her.

If you have a special/unusual request regarding your child's care that is important to you then really it's up to you to discuss it with the childminder.

Zommum Sat 11-Aug-18 07:00:52

I would be worried too. Perhaps just ask her about it. My child has to be in a RF seat, if he can't, then he can't go in the car.

insancerre Sat 11-Aug-18 07:06:51

I think you have to let the childminder use her professional judgement and let her make those decisions when he is in her care
I don't see the point in making a fuss over something that happens infrequently
Otherwise you risk ruining your relationship and destroying the trust you have to have in her abilities to keep your child safe

Slimtimeagain Sun 12-Aug-18 10:19:03

I never understand why people say that they don't mind for occasional trips. It only takes one trip no matter how short or long to have an accident.
Secondly, are you sure that her RF seats are big enough for him? I have a seat that can be both but will only accommodate up to certain weight RF.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: