Talk

Advanced search

Hints and tips for search please

(6 Posts)
DD2017 Sat 04-Aug-18 05:51:01

DD is 10 months old. We live in Scotland (if that makes a difference). I'm looking for 6 hours a week care on one day and wondered if anyone had hints and tips for the search and questions to ask I may not have thought of?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
AC14MUZ Sat 04-Aug-18 13:47:19

I found my Childminder on childcare.co.uk I think I saw about 10 in total and just went with who I got the best feeling from. Think about what is important for you. Ask about napping and routines, do they provide food or do you, are there any extra charges for excursions, sick and holiday policy etc. A big thing for me was can I leave my buggy there as I would go straight to the train station. Good luck in your search!

nannynick Sat 04-Aug-18 17:46:17

Your local family information service will know of childminders in your area. The online search system may show some local childminders, call Family Information Service for full list. Online search: www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk/LocalChis.aspx?chisid=-1

jannier Sat 04-Aug-18 18:46:25

Not all councils are great at maintaining their lists, so don't be put off if you get a few no vacancies.

Don't be frightened to ask to see around the rooms that are used for childcare its amazing how many don't ask.
What is the normal routine, do they go out, meet ups with others, on going training, 3 yearly first aid and safeguarding are musts but do they do anything else? Do they accept vouchers or any other schemes. What is included for the fee, is their a charge for their time off - don't rule them out straight away annualise the bill and compare what is included and the quality offered over the annualised fees often their isn't much in it cost wise. Do they have back up childminders or assistants,
After the practicalities your gut feeling is the most important providing there is nothing worrying on the Ofsted care / commission report.

GandTthankyou Sat 04-Aug-18 18:47:25

Local community Facebook group helped me out. X

DD2017 Sun 05-Aug-18 06:55:22

Thanks guys that's really helpful

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in