Talk

Advanced search

For those of you who don't have a playroom

(8 Posts)
cm39 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:13:51

What do you do?
I realise not everyone is lucky enough to have one but over the years I've realised being lucky enough to have a house with one makes life so much easier.
Me and do are going to move in together and so far properties don't have enough space downstairs for this to be possible.

OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Mon 18-Jun-18 13:16:54

I didn't have one, but now I have a conservatory / play room and it's so much easier. I think when you don't have one, you just manage just as well without one. I used to store the toy boxes under the beds to keep them out of the way.

Mymadworld Mon 18-Jun-18 13:38:18

I haven't got one so invested in lots of toy storage solutions - huge attractive wooden chest in my living room for dressing up clothes, dolls & dolls buggies, soft toys etc, rattan baskets, on a shelf, French dresser in the kitchen, over door hanging craft unit, ikea storage with boxes in my own children's bedrooms - I like to pack away as much as possible on a Thursday night (don't work Friday m at the moment) so boxes are ideal.
I'd love a playroom or separate working space but you just work with what you've got smile

Maryann1975 Wed 20-Jun-18 19:58:50

I don’t have a playroom, but I do move all the toys upstairs into a big cupboard at the weekend. I can’t bear to look at them all weekend. We had a conservatory at the old house, but I could never get the temperature right, always too hot or too cold and the kids never wanted to play in there.

cm39 Tue 03-Jul-18 23:29:00

Thanks for your help. Just wondered how many parents it puts off with it not looking like a nursery if that makes sense?!

OP’s posts: |
Maryann1975 Wed 04-Jul-18 13:56:00

My house doesn’t look like a nursery and I’m still full, so I don’t see it a s aproblem. If parents wanted a nursery setting they wouldn’t be looking at childminders. They are choosing childminders so their child can get out and about in the community and have a closer relationship with their childcare provider, not because there are is a dedicated playroom.

ohamIreally Wed 04-Jul-18 17:59:41

I used a childminder when DD was a baby because I wanted her in a home setting. I wouldn't have wanted it to look like a nursery.

overmydeadbody Thu 05-Jul-18 13:53:44

I don't have a playroom.

Instead I use all of my downstairs space really wisely to work as a childmindig setting and my home.

Clever storage, not too many toys (I rotate half termly with stuff stored in the loft), lots of closed storage so you can't see toys, and my house looks no different to any family home really.

I have low down coat hooks for the children by the front door, but not brightly coloured kids ones, evaluation the same nice stylish ones that are higher up for the adults.

Book shelves in the sitting room are all full of children's books rather than adult books.

I have a lovely old printing press drawer unit with load of little drawers in the sitting room, all full of loose parts.

One kitchen cupboard full of art supplies (accessible to the children) low drawers and cupboard with their cutlery and crockery, three antilop high chairs that stack up, and kalax shelving with lots of option white boxes.

Conservatory has built in window seats all around that lift up for storage, so all bulky t go in there.

Parents have always been impressed with my house and how nice it looks, and how the children are obviously thought about but it doesn't resemble a nursery.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in