Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ex childminders, what do you do now?

(9 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Wed 13-Jun-18 09:17:55

I'm currently taking a break from childminding, the plan being to return to it, however I can't say I feel excited at the idea! I'm beginning to get used to DS being able to leave his lego out, the house not having to be inspection ready at all times, no stress from parents or ofsted, no constant cooking and pot washing, a slower pace to my days, etc.

I'm missing having an actual income though!

Not sure what else I would do instead. I'll still have an under 5 of my own when I return to work (currently pregnant), and a teen DS with special needs who doesn't really "fit" any wraparound childcare available but can't be unsupervised. So would have my own childcare costs and problems if I worked out of the home.

I know childminders are leaving in their droves and was curious what they are doing instead for work.

foolonthehill Thu 14-Jun-18 19:57:12

well I'm going back to my previous profession but I know lots are in schools especially reception classes. I also met 2 in school admin, one who went to the sure start centre, one working in a nursery/pre-school who does extra baby sitting, 2 nannies several who retrained to become nurse/health care assistant/admin people, one in catering, one cleaner.

I stop in 6 weeks and I can't wait....for all the reasons you state but mainly the insane paperwork and expectations for pittance pay.

I will miss the children though sad

PoisonousSmurf Sat 16-Jun-18 16:06:03

I was a CM for 7 years and gave up once my own children went to secondary school.
I found that having little ones was clashing with what my own children wanted to do in the late afternoons, evenings.
I then set myself up as a self employed cleaner/gardener.
The best thing is that I can make £10 an hour and have MUCH LESS STRESS!

Starlight345 Sat 16-Jun-18 16:12:13

I am still a c minder and nearly gave up but didn’t . I got a job working in school kitchens . It meant I would get all holidays off and there for school runs . I don’t plan to do this for ever . My plan is to go into bank nursing .

Starlight345 Sat 16-Jun-18 16:13:06

I live working with the children just wish I could have my house as just mine

Flisspaps Sat 16-Jun-18 16:17:03

I'm an Operations Manager in a supported housing scheme for 16-25 year olds.

Twofishfingers Sat 16-Jun-18 21:38:49

school admin in secondary school so i get all school holidays off. its less money than childminding though as i work part time.

Maryann1975 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:07:29

I keep looking at job websites. Unfortunately, nothing I’m qualified for/want to do will let me take my daughter to school and then start work. So I feel I’m a bit stuck as a cm. there is limited childcare available at our school. The on-site before school club- I get lots of enquiries from these children. The other one can not get the dc to school on time ever. I am the only other option.
I’m ever so hopeful the reception teaching assistant at our school will want to take early retirement soon, but unfortunately she is only 50, so a bit of a pipe-dream really.
I keep searching the job pages, but get too frustrated when I see perfect jobs come up (2 other schools have advertised for full time reception TAs this term, but it’s an 8.30 start, so impossible to do with a school run).

ZoSanDesu Wed 20-Jun-18 20:16:15

My friend (who got me into childminding) has now gotten in with the council as a Family Support Worker. Our area are using these staff for two year old checks and to run and support families whose children are at nursery. This role sort of bridges the gap between Health Visitor (ex midwives and nurses and focused on babies) and school- a lot of supporting vulnerable children by supporting the families. It's definitely something I would be interested in, in the future once my DC are a bit older. For now, term time only EYFS children with selected childminding in the holidays is the dream!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: