Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Helping a parent after surgery, what should I charge?

(7 Posts)
tellin9 Tue 12-Jun-18 11:59:14

I have been asked to help care for a 10 month old baby boy as his mother is having minor surgery and will struggle to look after him. I am wanted to live in on 8 specific days. What should I charge for the 8 days? I live in the West Midlands.

Willow2017 Tue 12-Jun-18 12:44:43

Are you a childninder or a nanny?

jannier Tue 12-Jun-18 12:45:11

Are you already caring fro this child as a child-minder or are they looking for a live in nanny? If you already have a relationship with the family you may well do them a special rate if your a nanny you would be better to ask on the nanny pages.

tellin9 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:06:05

I'm a nanny.

Willow2017 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:16:57

Then your normal rate for durung day and maybe less for nights if you are going to get a good nights sleep.
Don't sell yourself short.

Imchlibob Wed 13-Jun-18 09:24:55

£10 per hour when in sole charge of an awake child or doing other household tasks (eg preparing the meal the child will have when they wake up). £5 per hour that the child is asleep or where a parent is present and doing the bulk of the child care and you aren't being expected to do anything except be nearby in case of emergency - though with a provision that if the balance between the £10 per hour work and £5 per hour work takes the overall average to under minimum wage then it us be uprated to minimum wage.

jannier Thu 14-Jun-18 09:20:34

Ok so are you doing this as work or to help out?
Work should be charged at your normal work rate your away from home not free to do your own things with a strange child who may well be upset that mum is not themselves or do a on call fee with a premium if actually disturbed between 10 and 6 am of double time. Only you know how much you need the money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: