Talk

Advanced search

Childminder is a smoker

(64 Posts)
Myusername2015 Sun 04-Mar-18 08:58:40

My 9 month old is about to start with a great childminder next week full time when I return to work. I didn’t notice any smell of smoke when I met her but last night she came round to babysit and had a strong smell of smoke. She also left her policies here to read and the smoking one says “she won’t smoke in the house and anywhere near children” 😕 now this is a really sensitive one for me anyway as my mum died from lung cancer but now I’m scared of the risks of passive smoking for my little one. Would you be concerned?

OP’s posts: |
toasterstrudle Sun 04-Mar-18 08:59:31

I wouldn't leave my child with a smoker, but I'm a bit precious about these things. Poor you sad

Loonyluna16 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:01:01

If she's not going to smoke near the kids or at your house why is it a concern? The smelling of smoke Isn't passive smoking. Your worrying about nothing.

user1499786242 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:01:19

Personally I wouldn't use a childminder that smokes
Because even if she has a fag hours before holding the baby etc the chemicals will still be embedded in her clothes etc

I would find a new one asap

MarthasGinYard Sun 04-Mar-18 09:01:51

Would totally put me off

TheQueenOfWands Sun 04-Mar-18 09:02:56

Fuck, no!

Run a mile. That's grim.

It'll be all over her clothes, hands, hair and everything she touches. Besides, your baby will he held by someone who stinks which is unfair.

And who's watching your child while she's out puffing away?

She sounds totally irresponsible. I'd find someone else.

SignoraStronza Sun 04-Mar-18 09:03:48

Will she be leaving the children unattended while she's puffing away in the garden?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 04-Mar-18 09:03:57

I wouldn’t use her.

I’m a childminder and recently looked after a child whose parents were smoker. The child’s clothes stank and everything she brought along also smelled of smoke. I have a really sensitive nose and it was very unpleasant. I did feel for the child.

Myusername2015 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:05:22

Sorry should have mentioned it’s two childminders working together which I suppose means they can pop out for a fag 😕 gutted as they seem amazing in every other way

CoffeeOrSleep Sun 04-Mar-18 09:05:57

That would put me off too, and I don't have a family history including lung cancer - I can see why you find it hard.

Are there other childminders you looked at or nursery settings you liked? You need to be 100% happy with the care your baby is going to get. Just because other people would be ok with this, doesn't mean you can't explore other options.

GreenSeededGrape Sun 04-Mar-18 09:06:02

Your dc will probably smell of smoke. My dd2 sometimes smells of the CM perfume and I'm pretty sure she doesn't put it on around her, it just comes off during a hug etc.

Would be a big fat NO from me to using that CM.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 04-Mar-18 09:06:36

Do they both smoke? It’s unusual these days.

greendale17 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:06:56

*It'll be all over her clothes, hands, hair and everything she touches. Besides, your baby will he held by someone who stinks which is unfair.*

^This. I wouldn’t use them either

NotTakenUsername Sun 04-Mar-18 09:08:04

Google “third hand smoke”.

mustnotlooktohave Sun 04-Mar-18 09:08:08

I wouldn’t use her either. I’m quite surprised she “passed” as a childminder (I know that isn’t the correct phrase.)

pinkmagic1 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:08:15

As long as she doesn't do it around the children and only outside, I really can't see the issue if she is lovely in every other way. Everyone has their vices.

Myusername2015 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:08:37

I know..I’m not sure..I’m certain one of them does but the policy is worded: “we will not smoke near children” out of the million questions I’d prepared for her I hadn’t even thought of this

SnackSnackEatAndCrave Sun 04-Mar-18 09:09:07

I'm too precious to leave DD with a smoker too. Even if they don't smoke near the children, there will be traces all over the place.
Is it too late to find someone else?

IfNot Sun 04-Mar-18 09:09:09

Burn her at the stake.

Myusername2015 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:10:18

I’ve spent about 6 months looking! I have been so particular about what I wanted for him and these particular childminders came so highly reviewed and seemed perfect such a home from home. Such a difficult one; probably haven’t got any choice but to start him with them anyway as I’ve signed the contract

BakedBeans47 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:10:23

It would put me off too but I don’t know if it’s irrational because your kids could go to a nursery and the staff might all smoke. If she’s not smoking in the house and as you say the house doesn’t smell is it really any different than that?

Am surprised she hasn’t given up though most people do not want smokers near their kids.

rebelrosie12 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:12:08

No way. I wouldn't want my children to be cuddling someone who smelled of smoke. Gross.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 04-Mar-18 09:13:02

I’d be totally put off, even more if I’d had a relative die of lung cancer. The third hand smoke will be all over her. The only thing that would persuade me is if she wears a ‘smoking coat’ to smoke in which she takes off, and puts away - not near the kids coats. And obviously washes her hands.

At school you can smell the kids bags that come from smoking homes. It’s disgusting.

ShiftyMcGifty Sun 04-Mar-18 09:13:49

You do have a choice because she stank of smoke when she came to look after him. So you don’t believe she will uphold the contract.

Myusername2015 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:13:50

That’s exactly my husbands view; as nursery workers might well smoke and we wouldn’t be told that. She just smelt of smoke so strongly when she babysat my lounge still smells. Absolutely aware I could be being irrational because of the family history

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in