Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Suitability for registration

(11 Posts)
FA12 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:00:54

Hello everyone. I need advice about registration. Ofsted lady booked for a registration day after next week but my 17 year old son got caught with tiny amount of cocaine by the police after he had been chased, hit and bitten by the police dog 2 days ago. He couldn't stop immediately when police told him to and police started hitting his moped by the side and knocked him down to stop him and let the dog run over and bit him. I am grateful that the police caught him so he wouldn't do the same mistakes and learn from his mistake for not stopping for the police and all but I feel so sorry that he got bitten by police dog on almost everywhere of his body and police was hitting him at the same time when he was bitten by the dog. ( That's what he said ) my question is, should I let the Ofsted lady know before the registration date or should I wait till the court day which is 3 days after the registration day?

PrincessScarlett Sun 11-Feb-18 10:22:03

Oh dear. Sorry OP but you need to disclose this to Ofsted. Presumably your son has a DBS check as part of your Ofsted application if he lives with you. I would be furious with your son. This is definitely something which could be disastrous for your business. Some offences would not be taken as seriously but drugs and children are a massive no.

jannier Sun 11-Feb-18 11:03:05

never a nice thing to find that your child has done, very strange that someone on a moped cant stop by pulling in to the kerb side as police only stop you when there is a suitable place to stop not in the middle of a junction so personally I would be a little doubtful that he is telling you the full story as dogs being released isn't instant they have to stop the car and go around to the cage and let then out for a start. If he had stopped straight away and it was a small amount for personal use it may well have not gone to court but I guess panic does funny things.
I think you need to tell Ofsted as they will find out anyway and it shows you are being honest and upfront.

humpbackwhalestail Sun 11-Feb-18 11:07:27

Best thing to do is calmly stick to the facts rather than the detail here (no criticism of you personally, OP, just a suggestion.)

‘My 17 year old son, who lives in the property, was arrested following a spot check where he was found to have X amount of cocaine on his person. I am drawing this to your attention as I recognise this could have repercussions for me as a childminder. I would appreciate your advice on the next steps I need to take from a business perspective.’

LoveSchoolHolidays Sun 11-Feb-18 13:31:37

Oh Please!

Your 17yo son got caught by police with cocaine and you’re making excuses for him by saying the police dog but him all over his body and the police beat him up?

Stop making excuses for him ffs

FA12 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:20:36

Well no because police dogs shouldn't be allowed to bite people anyway, My son is still a teenager that hasn't matured yet enough to know how to respond in those situations and thinks he can tear off, it's not humanitarian is it.

FA12 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:26:49

I am not making excuses. I am only asking for an advice and I wanted to share the details of what happened. I am not saying my son shouldn't be arrested. I am saying he shouldn't be bitten and hit. He is not a killer or terrorist and police can clearly check the moped hasn't been stolen and insured. And they can find out his details from his plate instead of knocking him down from the side which caused him to panic.

FA12 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:27:40

Thank you so much for your advice and help. I appreciate.

FA12 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:29:58

Thank you all for your advice.

jannier Sun 11-Feb-18 17:53:25

I do think it unlikely that the police car that just happened to be a dog unit un summoned decided to pull over a moped by instantly flicking its lights on and simultaneously running into the bike and letting the dogs out. The dogs being caged in the back of the car does mean that not only did the policeman make the decision to damage his car requiring an awful lot of paperwork at the least and risking an enquiry if the rider was injured but that he then immediately leapt out of the car ran to the back and released the dog.....common your son may well have panicked but was trying to outrun the car he wasn't just taking a second to stop. By supporting his story you do throw into question your suitability in itself. I would be taking the bike off him and grounding him at least....
17 is not a child unless you encourage him to be one, he needs to take some responsibility which may well include you now having a problem with doing your intended work due to suitability by association as well as him living in your home.

ArnoldBee Sun 11-Feb-18 17:59:32

Also if you still consider him a child is he really mature enough to have a moped on the roads where he has other people's lives in his hands?
Ask Ofsted for advice and stay factual at all times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now