Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking for advice

(8 Posts)
peanut2017 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:09:07

Hi looking for advice from childminders - I started the settling in period for my 9.5 month old son with a childminder 2 weeks ago.

He is the youngest and she minds 5 other children all around the age of 2.

She has a conservatory which is where the kids toys are.

The first day he seemed fine but it's got progressively worse. He was hysterical when I picked him up a few days ago. She had him in a pushchair rocking him back and forth. Then today for the first time he started crying as soon as she took him and she said he didn't settle at all.

Again when I picked him up he was in a buggy.

I'm just worried about the age gap as she can't keep the older kids separated from him like a crèche.

Would it be ok if I asked her what activities will she do with him?

He is very heavy which she commented on a few times and when I said she wouldn't be able to hold him she was like 'oh no I have the travel cot and mat'.

I know it all depends on the child but how long does it normally take? I'm back in work at the end of the month and will probably be able to leave him with her another 4 times.

She does seem very affectionate with the other children and I do like her. She has been very kind to me when I am there.

Am I just being an anxious first time mother?

Thanks

rebelrosie12 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:12:33

Are you in the UK? Does she have an assistant? 6 children of that age is hugely out of ratio.

peanut2017 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:18:41

I'm in Ireland and it's just her. She has no assistant. They are not all full time or every day but it is a lot compared to the crèches over here which have a ratio of 3:1

rebelrosie12 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:41:44

Speaking from experience, when I looked after 3 little ones as a child minder, one being quite unsettled, it was nearly impossible to cope with them. I think you'd be better off looking elsewhere. 3:1 is a sensible and safe ratio imo.

FA12 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:00:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ubercornsdiscoball Sat 10-Feb-18 11:03:05

Start your own thread FA12

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Sat 10-Feb-18 20:41:17

Change childminder and find a smaller setting

FA12 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:57:31

Sorry this is the first time I am using the mumsnet

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: