Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Charges while at school/preschool

(11 Posts)
SeamusMacDubh Fri 09-Feb-18 20:53:36

Do childminders charge for the hours their charges are at school/preschool? I heard someone talking about this and it would really change my future work/childcare plans if this is generally how things work.

endofacentury Fri 09-Feb-18 20:54:28

They do yes because they can't fill the place for a few hours whilst your child is at preschool

xyzandabc Fri 09-Feb-18 20:58:25

At school generally no, they will have a before and after school rate.
At preschool for just a couple of hours, generally yes. If you were called to collect your child from preschool, would you go, or expect the childminder to go? Each childminder sets their own charges though so you'd have to ask each one individually.

MagnaFlos Fri 09-Feb-18 20:59:48

Some do, some don't. Our childminder didn't, she was hugely flexible.

SeamusMacDubh Fri 09-Feb-18 21:03:57

Okay thanks smile

HSMMaCM Sat 10-Feb-18 12:32:24

I charged for pre school not school. The children can do their funded hours with me though, so that makes fees cheaper.

Enwi Sat 10-Feb-18 15:26:15

Often they will charge for preschool as the child is taking up an under 5 space whether they are there or not. Also pre school is often only a few hours, not an entire day like school.
I’ve never heard of a childminder charging for the entire day whilst a child is at school as they count into different ratios.

hookiewookie29 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:20:54

Some do.Some don't.
I charge half fees because;
I can't fill that space with another child for such a short amount of time
Parents will still expect me to keep a space for them on teacher training days and school holidays
An hour of the time they are at preschool is actually spent walking home, then back again to collect them
However they claim funding so it's not much to actually pay out of their own pockets and I only charge before and after school once they are there full time.

jannier Sun 11-Feb-18 11:17:56

Pre school is not compulsory and does not effect the acceptance into full time school. If money is an issue and your cm charges you consider using the funding with her as cm's can provide everything a preschool does.

bluechameleon Sun 11-Feb-18 11:21:08

When my son did half days at preschool I paid the childminder for those hours. When he did whole days she charged just for the before and after school hours.

Maryann1975 Mon 12-Feb-18 12:44:09

I wouldn’t charge for a school age child while they were at school as I couldn’t fill the space as all the other children are also at school. If a child were at preschool and you wanted me to drop off/collect, I would probably want to put in some kind of fee for the time your child wasn’t with me as I could fill that space with someone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now