Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder holiday and sick days

(16 Posts)
Meme1990 Sun 04-Feb-18 22:18:34

So i use a childminder who im really happy with but they do have alot of sick days. I get 30 hours free funding. My question is does she still get paid my free funding when having all these sick days. Im having to have unpaid time off work but is she still getting paid?

HSMMaCM Mon 05-Feb-18 09:03:57

I would be offering you another day. No one on here can tell you what funding she's claiming. Only your cm and the LA will know. Why don't you ask if she can make up your funded hours another time? She might. It be able to, but it's worth asking.

HSMMaCM Mon 05-Feb-18 09:04:14

*might not

jannier Mon 05-Feb-18 14:12:21

Do you use her in school holidays? if so and you use the 30 hours term time ask her to make up the time off the holidays. Or if you use more than 30 hours to take it off the excess until used.

Looneytune253 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:19:31

Yes she should be making it up to you another time or not claiming it. The council will pay it regardless but she can tell them she only worked x hours instead of y and the funding will be adjusted. She may be doing that (but she may not too). Ask her!!

QuiteLikely5 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:21:14

Check your contract - what does it say about sick pay?

theothersideoftheworld Mon 05-Feb-18 14:23:16

Is she off sick a lot? I’ve been with my childminder for 18 months and she’s not had one day off sick. Maybe look for another CM?

Twofishfingers Mon 05-Feb-18 15:57:02

How many days are you talking about?

leesypops Mon 05-Feb-18 21:37:54

If I have to close due to sickness I offer a choice of days (within reason) that the family can choose to make up the hours. Occasional sickness in my local authority doesn't automatically mean money paid back to them if the family choose not to make up the hours. Recently my daughter was very poorly and I couldn't offer the family alternative hours. I contacted the LA and advised I was claiming less hours for the new term (although still working them) to make up for the shortfall from last term. Your childminder may well have done the same.

thisgirlrides Tue 06-Feb-18 10:42:41

Assuming its lots of little days here & there & not one chunk of genuine but prolonged sickness, I'd be looking elsewhere. I had 1 day off sick last year, none the previous 2 Years, but did need a whole week when my youngest had chicken pox a few years back. This is normal, lots of days off is not although if she's getting paid for them then maybe she's taking the piss!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 08-Feb-18 21:51:18

If she has sick days surely you don’t pay And would come off bill

jannier Fri 09-Feb-18 07:40:17

Blondeshavemorefun......its funding hours so not paid by parent.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 09-Feb-18 08:18:59

OIC. Then yes hope cm isn’t fiddling it and claiming the days she is ill

Indybindy Sun 11-Feb-18 09:02:18

I had 3 days off last year , which was due to parents bringing Sick kids ( after telling them not to) if funded I do offer other days if possible . It does make you mad though when the only reason one has to shut downand lose money is due to sick children coming into the setting when they should be cared for at home . Before last year I worked 6 years without a day off . Very unusually for childminders to be taking lots of sick days though!

jannier Sun 11-Feb-18 11:09:44

Indybindy......its terrible how thoughtless some parents are I know some cm's are now charging sick days if they have been infected by a child after telling parents x is unwell and them ignoring the advice putting it down to over eating, teething, travel sick etc.
My husband was due a serious op after Christmas I asked all parents to keep children off if they were unwell as it couldn't get cancelled again, one had been off work with stomach flu yet lo's bad nappies were not the same thing sure enough 3 others went down with stomach flu infecting their families over Christmas because Lo had been in my house for half a day, my husband just recovered 2 days before his op. I've now told this family that it will be immediate termination if he comes ill again.

HSMMaCM Sun 11-Feb-18 14:02:35

Jannier. I had that when my DD was due an op. I actually had to block the door to one family and send them away when they turned up red eyed, coughing, having been given calpol for temperatures!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: