Talk

Advanced search

Childminders claiming 30 hours

(12 Posts)
jamg27 Sun 21-Jan-18 16:57:00

Hi due to change in circumstances my 3, nearly 4 year old is going to a childminder. She has 15 hours free at a nursery and we want to use the other 15 with a childminder but the childminder is saying they, as in the childminder, Can’t get the money for the 15 hours until after Easter as they do it term by term. Is the correct? And who is ‘they’? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BlueberrySquash Sun 21-Jan-18 17:01:43

The local council fund it. Nurseries and childminders have to send a headcount of children termly. The headcount for funding this term went in to the council last week (or did in my area) so they are correct in saying they can't claim funding for you until Easter.

Hope that helps x

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 21-Jan-18 17:04:26

Yes agree. Up until recently our LA did let us claim part terms but changed this in September.

jamg27 Sun 21-Jan-18 17:09:12

Thanks so much, I had no idea but just wanted to check

OP’s posts: |
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 21-Jan-18 17:10:50

I always find it sad when people don’t believe their cms. What reason would she have to not be telling the truth?

Glad you’re sure now anyway.

Bonkerz Sun 21-Jan-18 17:15:50

If a child started now the childminder probably wouldn't get paid until April. This may be an issue.
For me claiming funding is a pain as it's paid sporadically and working weeks in advance is a nightmare.

HSMMaCM Sun 21-Jan-18 17:29:25

I wouldn't be able to offer a funded space until Easter either. I could offer a paid space though.

PoisonousSmurf Wed 24-Jan-18 20:27:49

Lucky that you even found someone willing to do any 'free' hours. It's a real pain in the behind and it can take months to even get paid!

jannier Wed 24-Jan-18 22:00:43

We can offer a space now but wont be paid for it until the end of term after putting in an adjustment. So paying out to provide activities food etc in advance to be paid in arrears and less than our normal hourly rate. We don't have to offer the funding and can stipulate are own terms. Having just returned from a meeting on it where we were told that to make it sustainable we should charge more for younger children effectively making other parents pay the shortfall it just proves its a big political scam.

sister1 Thu 25-Jan-18 23:51:58

'they' is the childminder?

Childminders are childcare providers i.e. as are nurseries and are counted as such by Ofsted who inspect both to the same criteria.

jannier Fri 26-Jan-18 13:23:11

The system works in my area by estimates being submitted in December and a part payment being made in January after headcount week they then calculate an actual payment due using the headcount data input (headcount week for us was 18th January) this will be paid end of February. Any children leaving or starting after this will not be paid until after adjustment day at the end of term payment due start of next term. So payments for children starting now or anytime before Easter wont be made until after Easter.

insancerre Thu 01-Feb-18 06:39:20

They is the government
The funding for the 30 hours is different to the 15 hours funding
To get the extended hours for this term you needed to have applied for your code before the end of December
Have you got your code for next term?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in