Talk

Advanced search

Childminders with their own kids at home- am I mad to consider this?

(14 Posts)
MelbourneMel Thu 04-Jan-18 08:20:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
StealthPolarBear Thu 04-Jan-18 08:23:38

Of course not! Many cms run like this

MelbourneMel Thu 04-Jan-18 09:35:17

bobstersmum Thu 04-Jan-18 09:46:50

When I just had 2 kids at home I actually went and did the councils introduction to childminding course, we were told that you have to include your own children in your ratios even if they are at school/nursery because if they were off school sick they'd be at home and you'd then be over your ratio. It put me off and I didn't end up going through with it, it might be something worth clearing up before you start paying out for courses like I did.

bobstersmum Thu 04-Jan-18 09:48:23

Sorry op I didn't rtft you obviously know all about it anyway, if it's just taking on a baby I say go for it! Good luck!

MelbourneMel Thu 04-Jan-18 09:49:16

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 04-Jan-18 09:55:17

Why would it ‘put you off’ if you’re still permitted to take a baby?

I think it would be fine. Given you coped with your two toddlers & your newborn, this should be ok. Obviously it’ll have different challenges, but as they’re all so young they should adapt to it easily enough.

Having 3 young ones of your own might put some parents off, but others might think it’s an ideal situation.

MelbourneMel Thu 04-Jan-18 12:01:49

Maryann1975 Thu 04-Jan-18 14:19:15

I have three dc and have been a cm since my first was a baby, so it obviously doesn’t put everyone off. Good way to build your business I think. What are the ratios in Ireland? In England you wouldn’t be able to have any extras full time, but once the eldest started school, you could have an extra one, then in 12 months time another extra one. If you don’t have any of your own at home, you start off looking for 2 or 3 to look after, which is a lot when you aren’t established. To find one at a time is much more doable.
As a mother with three I know it is perfectly doable to care for that many children at a time.

MilkRunningOutAgain Thu 04-Jan-18 22:34:10

My DC went to a CM with twins for many years and it was great. I wanted a CM with kids, I saw her interacting with them & knew she was the one for our family

jannier Fri 05-Jan-18 05:35:13

In England with 3 of that age you would have to work by having school aged children before and after school as your own would count. But having children of your own is fine some may not like it as they think you put your own first when in truth we tend to always put our own last.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 08-Jan-18 13:15:37

Won’t you make avery littlenincome taking on one child? Roudnd where I am childminder costs is comparable to nursery - works out 5-6 per hour so only makes financial sense when there are several mindees?

nornironlady Mon 08-Jan-18 13:20:15

My DS is cared for by a CM with her own children at home. Where else would they be? I'm switching to nursery day care for entirely separate reasons but in the new place the owners children will also be there included in current NI ratios. I've never given it a second thought.

ladystarkers Mon 08-Jan-18 13:22:44

Having done it myself I would say yes. Its totally different to having your own dcs and unless you are really strapped for cash not worth it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in