Talk

Advanced search

Seriously considering giving notice to a family

(56 Posts)
glenthebattleostrich Fri 13-Oct-17 07:07:59

I am so cross, possibly because I've been up most of the night and may need a little perspective.

I'm a childminder. I work with several families on a part time basis. Most accept my policies and follow the rules I set for my business.

I have one family of a 1 year old who I have 1 - 2 days per week, depending on the parents shifts. The child comes every Thursday and the occasional Friday. At drop off yesterday dad told me she'd been a bit out of sorts and it was probably just teething. No worries. Obviously I can deal with a teething baby. Gets my sling out, pops baby in that and we have an ok day.

Last night I woke at 2 and haven't been off the loo since then.

Messaged the parents to say I was going to have to close today and mum responds with, oh dear, she had a poorly tummy most of the week, hope you don't have that. FFS, I now have to let down 4 families of school age children because they choose not to follow procedures. It's the second time they've done this. They send their child having thrown up on a morning, that time we were sort of lucky that only DD caught that one and was only I'll on a day I had no littles so didn't loose as much.

So closing today, and possibly monday, depending on when I stop shitting, is going to cost between £180 and £400. So pissed off.

WIBU to give them notice?

OP’s posts: |
glenthebattleostrich Fri 13-Oct-17 07:09:30

Crikey that's long. Sorry.

And mum texted while I was typing that asking for a refund of fees paid for today as I don't charge when I'm close. So you can read and act on stuff when it fucking suits you. FFS

GeekyWombat Fri 13-Oct-17 07:10:45

I'd definitely give notice. That's irresponsible and also really detrimental to both your health and business.

ColossalKalamari Fri 13-Oct-17 07:12:47

If that's the second time I wouldn't want them bringing their kid back again!

gamerwidow Fri 13-Oct-17 07:12:53

Give notice they’ve done this twice and they will do it again. Not only are you out of pocket but you’ve had to let your other customers down which will damage your reputation if you have to keep doing it.

Madeyemoodysmum Fri 13-Oct-17 07:12:54

Yes won't be the last time they do it either.

Malaco Fri 13-Oct-17 07:13:00

Tell the other families what happened maybe if you are allowed. I wouldn't blame you for ditching them, especially if you had a word last time it happened

donajimena Fri 13-Oct-17 07:13:20

Give them notice. You can't trust them ever again.

Malaco Fri 13-Oct-17 07:13:50

I think they can't be trusted now.

Ifailed Fri 13-Oct-17 07:14:57

Definitely, and make sure the other families know why you've had to cancel and that you are giving notice, at least they'll understand and also realise why you have your rules.

LittleNoSleep Fri 13-Oct-17 07:15:19

Not a childminder, but just wanted to say this sort of thing winds me up no end. Parents sending kids to places when they are clearly ill and contagious. I suppose it depends on how you feel about them going forward. Is it worth sleeping on it (again - seeing that you didn't get much last night!)? Maybe you need to set out your policy in writing in email again? Honestly? I'd probably give them notice but aware I'm a bit rash sometimes! Passing stomach bugs on really really winds me up. Maybe you could give them a final warning effectively and say that you need honesty and following policy for the arrangement to continue.

RoderickRules Fri 13-Oct-17 07:17:08

Definitely give notice.
They are a liability.
Poor you.
Sorry to hear this, very distressing. flowers

glenthebattleostrich Fri 13-Oct-17 07:25:18

Thanks, I think the second message asking for a refund has topped me over the edge with them. They are getting notice.

I've sent this to my other families and will be reiterating it in my next newsletter.

'Hi all, I'm so sorry I have to close today because a child was sent on Thursday having had a tummy bug the day before. I have now unfortunately caught this bug so can't work. I've messaged XXX to see if they have any spaces and will let you know ASAP. I'm really sorry about this and can either issue a refund of fees or carry over a credit for next month. Tonight's activity has been paid for if you wish to make arrangements for your child to go. Thanks for your understanding.'

Phillipa12 Fri 13-Oct-17 07:42:26

Give her notice with immediate effect, they broke your terms and conditions and not for the first time. Explain in your email to them that they will get their refund but because of their actions you are down a minimum of £180 because of having to close.

ziggiestardust Fri 13-Oct-17 07:45:59

Why do they think their jobs and time are so much important than every other parent's?! This is infuriating, and there's one in every CM's/Nursery like it. When my DS was little and had a tummy bug (they really did used to be frequent!) I'd be down at the nursery to collect him within about 10 minutes of receiving the call. Why would you do anything else? He was always so upset when I got there, and would calm down instantly when he saw me, because he knew he was going home to mummy and comfort and cuddles.

I remember parking outside the nursery once when there was a sicky bug going round, and watching a child in another car being changed into clean clothes, and the mother wiping down the back of the passenger seat because her daughter had vomited on the way to nursery. She then attempted to drop the screaming little girl off. How on earth could you do that?

HipToBeSquare Fri 13-Oct-17 07:47:17

Wow that is pretty inconsiderate of them!

I'm not sure about notice but I'd definitely be replying with something along the lines of how much you will lose in payment for today because of their negligence.

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 13-Oct-17 07:47:21

Disgusting. Is it in writing? Can you take them to small claims for loss of income in relation to breaching t&c’s? Or is this worth more than your reputation? I’d be livid.

MyOtherProfile Fri 13-Oct-17 07:49:50

Definitely give notice. Maybe it will teach them.not to be such idiots in future.

mamamalt Fri 13-Oct-17 07:52:32

I would give notice. I hate it when people behave like other people/other people’s children don’t matter!
After the summer holiday we were back at the children’s centre classes for about four days before someone passed on something horrible to DS and we had to spend the whole next week at home (so we didn’t then pass it on!)
Obviously sometimes it cannot be helped but it seems in both of their cases it could have been. Complete disregard for you and your business not to mention anything else.

Malaco Fri 13-Oct-17 07:55:28

This still happens when they go to school and there are always people on mumsnet defending them or saying they do it themselves as they have to work, never mind how to affects everyone else who has to work too.

HSMMaCM Fri 13-Oct-17 07:57:06

I would give notice. Childcare is based on trust and they have lied to you, putting your health and the health of all the other children (and their families) at risk. I wouldn't a able to stop myself saying how many families have been affected and how much it has cost you, but it's probably not worth the effort and you could just keep the letter simple. Depending on your terms and conditions, this could be a breach of contract, enabling you to stop care immediately.

Without naming names, I would let all the other families know what happened and what action you have taken.

Butterymuffin Fri 13-Oct-17 08:00:32

Absolutely give them notice. It's very unfair of them.

ziggiestardust Fri 13-Oct-17 08:01:56

And YY to letting the other families know. It gives them reassurance that this won't happen again, and also gives you an opportunity to remind them that there are rules and that you do enforce them.

MrsRhubarb Fri 13-Oct-17 08:02:13

Maybe add in a line after the second sentance reminding parents this is why your policy states a 24/48 hour exclusion to prevent these bugs being passed to you and the children in your care? I don't blame you for being pissed, I would be. Definitely drop them.

Snap8TheCat Fri 13-Oct-17 08:03:04

The messages, telling you about the bug and asking for a refund, show that they still don’t realise they have done anything wrong.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in