Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Late collection fee

(15 Posts)
Therewere5inthebed Thu 05-Oct-17 18:41:30

I’ve been working as a Childminder for a few years and consider myself to be helpful and accommodating. I’ve never charged late collection fees as my Mindees parents are very considerate to me.

I’ve had a new child start and this is his second week, there have been two instances of late collection, one 30 mins late and another 20 mins this week. In both occasions there has not been an apology for the lateness and it’s really got up my nose, i’m considering implementing my late collection fee to nip it in the bud but I feel so guilty.. what would you do in this situation?

BellyBean Thu 05-Oct-17 18:54:31

If it's in the contract do it for the next one, no question although perhaps mention it at next pick up (don't wait for the next late one).

If this is how they are at the beginning they'll assume you're flexible/soft touch and definitely keep doing it.

HSMMaCM Thu 05-Oct-17 18:58:46

Definitely tell them next time you see them that you will be charging late fees. I generally do it on the first occasion now, as I've been burnt a couple of times in the past. Making it clear from the start seems to work.

Therewere5inthebed Thu 05-Oct-17 19:54:59

I’ve sent a text (which is our usual way of communicating, not a cop out) as there will be other parents present at drop off for the next few days and I don’t want to cause any embarrassment. I hate confrontation but really feel I need to nip it in the bud as it was as though it was expected, when my long standing parents have been held up they’ve always been very apologetic and it’s never been twice in a week.

I’ve happily had long term Mindees overnight with no charge when parents have been stuck in London with train problems but this feels different.

twilightcafe Thu 05-Oct-17 19:58:29

Twice a week is taking the mickey because they think you can be "flexible" about pick-up times. You need to nip this in the bud now.

FetchezLaVache Thu 05-Oct-17 20:05:33

Is it in the contract?

Implement it and don't feel guilty! The kid's parents clearly don't feel guilty about taking the piss out of you...

leesypops Thu 05-Oct-17 21:04:25

I would implement late collection fee if it’s in the contract. Occasionally I have parents who are late but they always let me know and it’s usually something that can’t be helped and they’re always very apologetic. I’ve not yet applied a late collection due to this although I do charge them my usual rate if it’s over 10 minutes late

Hunkle Thu 05-Oct-17 21:08:58

The not apologising is awful. Surely its the first thing you woud say sad

Snap8TheCat Thu 05-Oct-17 21:10:15

He didn’t mention the lateness but did you?

HoneyWheeler Thu 05-Oct-17 21:12:58

Absolutely enforce it! If you don’t value your time then other people don’t either. A lesson that I’ve had to learn the hard way many times!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 06-Oct-17 16:51:59

Inwould have been horrified if I was that late and definitely would expect a charge.

LittleDolphins Thu 16-Nov-17 13:08:07

You need to address it or perhaps update your policy and send them a copy especially to that parent in particular. It’s no tolerated because they aren’t allowed to do that at school so why should childminders sacrifice their family time for non apologetic parents. It really winds me up because I had a few parents done that before and when I surcharged them at the end of the month they were like why did you charge us extra I showed them a copy of the register and my policy which they signed after hours £5 every 15mins! From then on I had no sleepy head daddies picking up their kids 1hr late smile sometimes you have to stick up to your policies because parents just abuse of your services some parents are really nice you never get complaints or problems some are just «over protective parents» but that’s how the business runs

LittleDolphins Thu 16-Nov-17 13:11:21

In my childminding course they did Emphasise on late collections which even social service or ofsted gets involved as the children get very distressed. Please refer to EYFS for that could help with renewing your policies.

LittleDolphins Thu 16-Nov-17 13:14:35

BUT you can also add that it’s understandable sometimes parents can get held up by traffic or transport or bad weather condition or just late from work which they could give your head up before hand so you can prepare the child that mummy or daddy will be late and it’s fine you don’t have to charge them if you don’t want to because it’s a one off and they’ve told you.

jannier Fri 17-Nov-17 13:04:17

If you do decide not to charge for any reason put the late charge on your invoice then show a corresponding credit and a note in bold saying "I have not charged on this occasion but reserve the right to do so in the future". This highlights to the parent how nice you have been and more importantly protects you from setting an I dot charge precedence. Contracts can be changed by custom and habit if apparent can show you have not charge in the past it can be judged that you cant charge now without re doing contracts.
I would always charge a parent who does not apologise or if became a habit. If you don't it looks like you don't mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now