Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you hire me?

(43 Posts)
siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:45:43

Recently been told that due to me being a 16 year old male, even with a DBS check, First Aid qualifications and past experience babysitting that I shouldn't try be a babysitter.

I have recently put flyers and facebook ads online, asking if anyone needed my help on any evenings or the weekends for £5 an hour, and lots of people have been saying I shouldn't want to be around kids alone.

Are they right, and should I try get another job? But I love babysitting kids, it fits to my schedule and I make more money then working a proper part time job however I feel i'm getting branded as untrustworthy as i'm a male.

NickMyLipple Sat 23-Sep-17 11:51:58

Join an agency. Lots of parents like the security that an agency give.

Try to get some references/reviews too. As a parent I would like to know that you come highly recommended.

lemonnade Sat 23-Sep-17 12:07:13

I would have no issue whatsoever hiring a male childminder/nanny/babysitter providing (as with a female)!he had passed the necessary checks and had experience with being responsible for children before.

Some people are weird about men and kids though, it's very unfair and i don't agree with it.

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:09:39

Thanks for the kind messages all, yes it annoys me when people look at me weird when I say I babysit kids.
I do come with refrences from about 4 one off customers, but none are looking for a more permanent arrangement.

The thing with agencies is that they require a certain fee from me tht I don't like, what I was thinking was for me to set up my own business, and then allow other babysitters to be available, and the lient can pick them, and I just take 50p a time from them. But all our rates would be the same.

Katescurios Sat 23-Sep-17 13:13:47

There are several male carers at my daughters nursery doing childcare apprenticeships and the kids gravitate to them. They are brilliant. Have you considered doing a qualifications or is this a part time job around school that you're looking for?

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:21:01

Hey katescurios, I'm looking at it as a part time job, because i'm doing a levels at college and I see this as the perfect job. Any tips to getting a job.

NickMyLipple Sat 23-Sep-17 13:22:57

I work for several agencies and none of them charge a fee from me as the nanny/babysitter. They all charge the parents a finders fee.

Pastacube Sat 23-Sep-17 13:27:22

i think lots would hire you, carry on! there are now male norland nannies!

I have worked with kid and they always love the males, keep at it.

SongforSal Sat 23-Sep-17 13:28:59

A local lad to me does a lot of babysitting, he also works part-time at a nursery, so he has references (he's about 17-18). I've seen him in action, and he is fab with kids. So no, being male would not put me of hiring you. There's such a shortage of men in childcare, and it really is important to have more men in the industry.

Josieannathe2nd Sat 23-Sep-17 13:29:46

I would only get a babysitter through work of mouth. So you need to start asking around- friends younger siblings, family friends, neighbours and let them know. Then tell them to tell their friends! I've got three boys and would definitely be happy to use a male babysitter, but male or female only one I know or have been recommended.

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:44:01

Thanks for the kind words, yes I feel there is a lack of us in the childcare industry which is sad, loads of guys are good wih kids, but the stereotypes put us off.
Would it be wise to just work weekends and not weekdays? Or do parents want people to do weekdays as well?

Wait4nothing Sat 23-Sep-17 14:11:05

As a way in maybe try a part time job as a play worker in school holidays - I did this as a teen and there were a good mix of male and female workers. Fits around collage and introduces you to families in your area too. I also had a job in a youth club (though there are far fewer paid positions these days) and as a party host at a local party venue (bringing out food, introducing games and the like) might be worth a look. At uni I did drop flyers offering babysitting services but I had lots of experience by then and a few great references.

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 14:25:13

Thanks for the idea, wait4nothing.

Pastacube Sat 23-Sep-17 14:28:53

playwork has lots of males in employment, google for holiday playscheme work esp local authorities. in time for halloween,.

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 14:38:18

Pastacube, thanks.

As I can only really work weekends, is there any jobs involving kids that I can do on weekends.

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 14:43:36

There are a few male teenage babysitters near me - the reaction you're getting seems a bit extreme! Having said that for my small kids I've tended to go for babysitters I already know or have a connection to (staff at nursery, our cleaner) rather than a random teenager, male or female, though I'd be reassured if someone had their DBS checks and a first aid certificate. Perhaps it's just not that easy to build up a client base as a teen, male or female? I used to do a lot of babysitting as a teen but it started with our next door neighbours and then I'd get recommended to other people. Once you've got your foot in the door it should be easier - lots of clubs run at the weekend - do you have any other interests (martial arts, football, gymnastics or whatever) that might lead to a job?

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 14:46:49

As for weekend babysitting - this does tend to be casual. Babysitting is expensive and not many people can afford more than the occasional night out. After school pick ups or breakfast drop offs are where the regular gigs are normally at. If you could advertise yourself as willing to do pick ups and ferrying to activities etc then you'd be a bargain at £5 per hour imo.

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 14:52:50

Thinking more about this - perhaps you could turn the tables and use your sex as a USP? Some people are actively looking for male role models for their children. Don't suppose you speak another language? Round here lots of people are seeking a tutor with a particular language - normally their own native language which their dc don't speak as well as they'd like.

Tutoring is the other job that might be available at weekends, though I don't really know what people look for in a tutor. You'd have thought people would want a qualified teacher, but I've seen students advertise themselves as available for tutoring.

pericat Sat 23-Sep-17 14:58:33

I used to hire a 18year old boy a couple of times as a babysitter when my 2ds were younger.

His family are neighbours (so I knew his mum was around if there were any major problems) and he had a younger sibling roughly the same age as my 2ds so I knew he was used to younger children.

The arrangement worked well and my ds looked forward to his visits. It only stopped when he went to university.

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:07:39

Thanks being a tutor would seem pretty cool tbh.
I have no exact special tents or interests really hahaha, bit boring tbh.
Due to college, I can only really do weekends as well.

The thing is, I really want to babysit as a part time job, not casual and have clients every weekend. First of all because I love working with kids, I have cousins wo are great to play with, and I did a bit at cubs. Also the money could work out better, if I get 3 shifts a week, Friday, Saturday, sunday and I am there from 7 to 11 at £5 an hour, I could earn £60, which is better then what I would get working at some shops and cafes.

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 15:36:29

Hmm, I think you'd be lucky to get that sort of regular work, to be honest, male or female. I'm in a middle class area but most people I know would hire a babysitter about once a month tops and most probably already have someone they can call on. Evening babysitting can be a nice source of extra cash but it's not something people generally make a career out of. Even those with evening or weekend work tend to have arranged things so one parent can be at home most of the time. Daytime nannying, childminding etc is a different thing. An alternative would be to be a live in au pair and reduce your outgoings, but if you're living at home anyway that's less attractive.

NapQueen Sat 23-Sep-17 15:39:59

Id have no issue hiring a male babysitter but there would be no interacting with the kids as they go to bed at seven grin.

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 15:45:18

Party entertainer might be more lucrative but is a bit of a different gig. You'd need an act!

siwel123 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:46:18

Yes, bed time means no playtime hahaha.
I feel like if I had multiple people on file, then surely I could get a job every weekend?
Would anyone thinking offering tocome and play with your kids while you cook, clean or work would be another option?

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Sep-17 15:49:27

From time to time yes, but people value their family time so only if it was really necessary (one off deadline, moving house) - not because I'd built my week to rely on it, iyswim. Yes I suppose if you had a lot of people on file you would, but you'd only build that sort of business over time. And you'd probably need others on your books because there'd be times when people called you and you weren't available so they'd go elsewhere - and then next time they needed someone they'd have a choice of two, so you're not building up a client base as such - just being in the marketplace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now