Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any childminders want to chat?

(92 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Wed 20-Sep-17 19:43:47

Thought it might be nice to start a thread for childminders to gather and chat. Who would like to join me? It can be a lovely job and I think there are quite a few of us on here.

I've been minding for 8.5 years now, recently taking on an assistant as business is doing well. We currently have 13 children on our books.

I love my job and love talking about it (mostly). There are plenty of down sides but mostly positives. It allows me to raise my lovely children alongside looking after fab mindees.

Come join me!

Gottalovesummer Wed 20-Sep-17 19:46:32

Hiya, I'm fairly new on here. I've been a childminder for 6 years, am busy, love my job! Likewise I've been able to do school runs etc for my own while working.

Good to join up with you x

Snap8TheCat Wed 20-Sep-17 19:52:58

Welcome gottalovesummer smile

Are you in England? I am. I know regs are different in other areas of the UK.

Gottalovesummer Wed 20-Sep-17 19:55:47

Hi, yes I'm in England. Had a busy day, 3 little ones then 5 pick ups from school and my own!

How was your day?

Snap8TheCat Wed 20-Sep-17 20:01:30

Wednesday is my quietest day actually so it was lovely. 2 little ones (3rd is on holiday) and one of those leaves before the school run. Then I pick up my Dd and 2 more and my older boys make their way home from high schools.

I also only work Monday- Thursday so one day to go!

shockshockhorror Wed 20-Sep-17 20:15:11

Hello!

I've just completed my application to register with Ofsted, have my first training course in October...grin

I currently work in a nursery but I want to be able to work around my family more. I hope I'm making the right decision, I'm very excited but do wonder if I'll feel a little lonely and. I'll cope all on my own!

Onemoresliceofcakewonthurt Wed 20-Sep-17 20:22:26

Hi! I've completed my course but not registered yet.. can anyone help with how long I have to register after completing my course??

Gottalovesummer Wed 20-Sep-17 20:28:19

Hi shock. You'll love being your own boss, being able to take your own kids to school and pick up

I've never missed a sports day/nativity/assembly etc as I take my little ones in. They love going in to "big school" and it helps to familiarise then with it before its their turn

I advise making contacts with local childminders. You can meet up so the little ones get to play together and you get some adult company and support when you need it.

Onemoreslice, I'd speak to your family information service for us to date advice about registering as things do change.

glenthebattleostrich Wed 20-Sep-17 20:31:23

Excellent thread Snap.

I think it took me about 6 months to register, one more. That was 6 years ago.

I've been minding 6 years, it was supposed to be a temporary thing until DD started nursery, just a little part time thing. 6 years later and every time I think I'll take it easy for a few months I end up with more work than I can handle!

Shock, I can honestly say I have the best of both worlds. I work but still get to go to every assembly (the littles love going to see the bigs), school play and fairs, as well as pick up my little girl and be at home each day. It's not for everyone as it is so intense but it is brilliant fun.

Had a brilliant day today as. Took the kids to a local art gallery. The 2 year old looked at the pictures intently (she's facinated by colours and shapes at the mo) and announced it was like tubbies. Look, there's dipsy on a hill. Not quite what I was hoping for but I'm sure Ofsted will love the video!!

Snap8TheCat Wed 20-Sep-17 20:33:52

Oooh excellent! Welcome welcome to you all! Thanks for joining in grin

shockshockhorror Wed 20-Sep-17 20:45:48

Thanks for the reassurance! I am really looking forward to being able to put my ideas into practice, and use everything I've learnt through motherhood and my role at nursery.

That's great to hear you can take your mindees into school for sports days etc, I was wondering whether that would be frowned upon or not but actually you're totally right - they're learning about big school and that's great for them.

Wow, art gallery tellytubbies sounds amazing fun! Wish there were some near me... (art galleries not tellytubbies, although if I eat any more of this chocolate I think there may be one in the mirror tomorrow)

As for how long it takes to register, in my area (east mids) it says online to expect 12 weeks.

Elvisola Wed 20-Sep-17 20:55:23

I've been childminding for 8 years since my DS was a year old.

Currently I have 3 full timers aged between 14-24 months and have just added a baby sibling 4 days a week under COC so busy busy.

I love it, mine are at school now and have grown up having mindees about and have never had any jealousy issues.

glenthebattleostrich Wed 20-Sep-17 21:06:30

My DD loves it. She's an only child so gets the benefits of a big family with the weekends being spoilt! Although 4 current mindees and 2 former, plus an ad-hoc child live in my street so the house is never that quiet. The kids just wander into their other home!!

I've got loads of part timers at the minute, which works well income wise but the paper work is a pain in the backside!

Gottalovesummer Thu 21-Sep-17 17:59:08

Hi everyone. Just seen reference on a post I was reading through how pre schools in a different country " are more childminding than education"

Still so much ignorance about what we do and what we deliver.

We're NOT bloody babysitters.would like to see one of these posters get through an ofsted inspection!

Sorry, rant over!

Snap8TheCat Thu 21-Sep-17 20:20:06

It's a battle we face every day sad

Well I'm done for the week now, finished on a fairly calm day and looking forward to my Friday off. I have a jobs list as long as my arm but it's all child free! grin

Gottalovesummer Thu 21-Sep-17 21:20:53

Enjoy your day off smile

Snap8TheCat Fri 22-Sep-17 13:18:59

Thanks! How is everyone's Friday going?

glenthebattleostrich Fri 22-Sep-17 15:38:14

I had a meeting with my childminder coordinator this afternoon. A few updates needed to my policies and a bit of work on my files but she was really pleased with how well I know my littles. Apparently that's ofsted thing at the mo, knowing your children not from a learning journal. And exercise.

badgerhead Fri 22-Sep-17 23:32:44

Hi Everyone
I have just found this thread. I’m a Childminder & have been minding for 22 years. My dh works full time as my assistant and we have 22 children on our books with us picking up from two schools. I’m about to start my MA Childhood & Youth after gaining my BA (Hons) Early Years last year, both with the Open University.

Snap8TheCat Sat 23-Sep-17 07:04:05

Welcome badger! Congrats on your degree. I'd love to expand my business a little bit more, do you have a large house?

glen we have lovely coordinators that visit if we need them to. Are you expecting OFSTED soon?

badgerhead Sat 23-Sep-17 17:46:50

snap8 we live in a victorian semi, but have added an conservatory which gives us extra room. It helps that there is now only 3 adults living in the house, pus 2 cats, so space is not so much of an issue.
It can be crowded at times, especially on a busy afternoon after school in the winter when the children can't expand into the garden, but some of the little go before or on school run & some of the older children go within half an hour of s getting in from school so the busy-ness doesn't last too long.

snugglesarethebest Mon 25-Sep-17 13:01:26

Morning, so nice to see a group like this! was hoping one of you lovely minders may be able to answer a few questions for me...

I have been planning to become a childminder for a number of years, i have two children both now i school(one half days) and my childcare costs were eating up almost my entire earnings and i felt like i never saw the kids, i want to be able to provide a fexible service that helps parents as much as possible. i left my job in july and am currently working through getting things in place and managing a full household.

I have completed the CYPOP(in wales) done my peadiatric first aid and food hygiene course. I have written my policies and my doctors sign off is completed.I am currently finishing off the application form, which i must say i have found the most difficult part and to be honest i am finding it very demotivating.

So, rather than get bogged down and stressed out by the questions i have decided to find some childminders (your lovely selves) and ask for help!

References is my biggest issue - the application says you need 2 references bith childcare realted. My most recent employer was an energy company i have a basic reference from them and i have a reference from a previous employer where i was a play worker, I am concerned that not both are childcare related, do they need to be? would i be better off getting a second reference childcare related? and not bother with the recent employer one.

My other concern is it asks for you to detail the children you intend to look after - i have no idea - i intend to provide wrap around care but i have noidea what to put in each of the age group sections? should i just add the permitted number of children in each age category?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, xx

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 26-Sep-17 13:12:42

Really interested to read your posts.

I'm seriously considering childminding (again!!). Are any of you ex-teachers? I'm currently on mat leave with my 8 mo old and I have a 2.5 year old and I'm wondering whether childminding would give us some flexibility that teaching doesn't? I don't mean that it's less hours or anything, I totally get the intensity of the job! My DH works away all week and I'm just wondering whether it would give me the chance to do the school run, be home if they're sick (I know that has complications for the children you are minding!) and be able to attend things like nativities etc. We don't need my salary but I'd like to earn something and early years had always been a passion.

From your posts you all seem to love it so I suppose my question is maybe what are the negatives? What are the compromises?

Snap8TheCat Tue 26-Sep-17 13:19:47

I have a few minutes but have to be quick so excuse the bullet point nature of my reply.

Negatives/compromises
- your children have to share mummy/ home toys
- they may not get on with every child
- you may not gel with every child
- parents being late /chasing pay/ being difficult
- the amount of stuff you need! It takes over your house
- can go to school events but have to take other children, sometimes they cry/ play up and you have to leave
- in the beginning you have to take crap contracts before you build up your business. Now I can be fussy as I have a waiting list
- lots of paperwork
- ofsted

Snap8TheCat Tue 26-Sep-17 13:24:23

snuggles in under ofsted so not sure if my advice will be valid. I used friends I’d known through having my children as references and when it asked for numbers I just gave the maximum in each category. They want to know what register you are applying for (early years, after school etc). As I said not sure if Wales is the same.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: