Advanced search

Looking after a friend's child's? Do I need to register as a childminder?

(11 Posts)
Twoweekcruise Tue 19-Sep-17 09:39:04

My friend wants to increase her hours to full-time and has asked if I (I'm a SAHM) would look after her child from 3.30-5pm each day.
I remember seeing an article in the newspaper about two friends who got into some kind of trouble because they looked after each other's children and had never registered as childminders.
So, I'm wondering if I need to register and is that going to be a huge faff and not worth it for one child and for only 7 odd hours a week?

OP’s posts: |
AlexanderHamilton Tue 19-Sep-17 09:44:48

The problem with that instance is that they were providing reciprocal childcare so in effect they were paying each other by minding the other's child on a regular basis.

So if you genuinely receive no payment from your friend (or if the child is over 8 years old) you'll be ok. If she regularly gives you cash or gifts then you are on dodgy ground.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 19-Sep-17 09:45:42

Actually I think you'd be ok as it's less than 2 hours per day

Threenme Tue 19-Sep-17 09:48:53

Who would know! I really would not bother! I constantly have other people's kids especially in school hols when I'm off and others aren't. It never occurred to me! I refuse any cash because they're my friends and I love their kids but I certainly get pressies! (Which I love)!

RicStar Tue 19-Sep-17 09:50:39

As long as it is not for more than 2 hours a day you do not need to register even if you are paid. So 3.30 - 5 even paid would be ok but 3.30 - 6 would not be.

Twoweekcruise Tue 19-Sep-17 09:51:41

I do regularly look after him but not for that amount of time every day so she says she would pay me. So I'm thinking if I was getting payment each week I surely must need to be registered in some way?!

OP’s posts: |
Twoweekcruise Tue 19-Sep-17 09:52:58

Ok, I didn't know about the 2 hour thing so that would be fine as her other half would come get him at 5pm.

OP’s posts: |
Char22thom Sat 23-Sep-17 13:26:28

Its 2hrs if in your home, if its in the Childs then no need for registration or anything as technically you are a nanny/home childcarer.

Yukbuck Wed 27-Sep-17 13:34:58

The issue isn't really the registering thing as it's under 2 hours. My issue would be self employment? As you'll need to declare the income.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 27-Sep-17 13:59:43

Problems may occur if something were to go wrong. Sa, for example, her child was injured in our care - what if she were to sue you?

If you were registered, you'd be insured against such events.

How happy are you to lose the friendship if it goes pear shaped?

jannier Wed 27-Sep-17 23:55:39

As a child-minder \I have always found working with friends and mine field even for very close friends and my children's friends have always ended up as broken friendships.

legally you can do it as under 2 hours but as others have said consider tax implications and issues like your household and car insurance broken tv / stained carpet scenario, injury to child (a parent cant sign away the right to sue a child has the right to sue you until they are 21 and 3 months and would have to if they had a life altering injury like look into this. Its hard to get household insurance even as a cm. For car insurance you can not do school collections as that would make you a taxi (exemption negotiated by PACEY for registered child-minders) Yes who would know but if a child is hurt who is going to have their wits about them not to call you a child-minder or babysitter?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in