Talk

Advanced search

How up to date is your CM's DBS

(19 Posts)
sparklyelephant Sat 23-Sep-17 03:00:51

I registered in 2007 and Ive never had a CRB for childminding either.
(I worked in our local primary school previous to childminding and had an enhanced CRB for that)
When I questioned this with Ofsted, they told me I wouldn't be an an Ofsted registered childminder if I had been unsuitable.

Wildaboutoscar Wed 20-Sep-17 04:10:29

Agree Girlguiding can't /won't check on the update service . They complete a new DBS on all helpers even if they have existing DBS certificates and or are registered for the update service. This included parents who help on sleepovers. I'm a teacher and had to have one when I helped .

Yukbuck Sat 16-Sep-17 10:50:48

I wish I could answer.
It's the same for everything though.
Obviously as a nanny my nanny families don't make me get a new one each time! But that is at their discretion.
Schools, swimming teachers, girl guides, scouts, etc.. all require their own DBS.

insancerre Sat 16-Sep-17 09:05:15

I have employed people who are on the update
We don't require a new dbs, we just need the number and we check online
Why aren't the girl guides doing that?

Yukbuck Sat 16-Sep-17 09:02:47

I know. That's what I'm trying to explain. It's supposed to mean we only need one but I genuinely don't know anyone who only has one. Obviously there are people on here with only one but I don't know anyone on real life and I know lots of people with DBS's due to my job and extra activities.

HSMMaCM Sat 16-Sep-17 08:59:14

The point of the new DBS is that we're not supposed to need more than one!

Yukbuck Sat 16-Sep-17 08:57:41

I did sad but still need separate ones everywhere. I'm not really sure why! And I'm not the only person I know with this problem! Girlguiding have their own rules as do schools. It sucks

insancerre Sat 16-Sep-17 08:36:58

Yukbuck
If you had subscribed to the update service after your first dbs, then you wouldn't need the subsequent ones
You just give them your update number and they check
No need for separate dbs applicationa

Yukbuck Fri 15-Sep-17 21:33:29

Dbs is now on an update service so the paper may not upgrade each year but you can make sure they are up to date online.
It's annoying though. They changed from CRB to dbs so that you'd only need one, yet that hasn't been the case! I have several dbs's now (uni, Ofsted, guiding, school helper!) It's ridiculous and such a waste of resources. It should all be in one place so that one dbs covers all! How can I be allowed to be alone with kids as a nanny but not alone in a classroom of kids because I have to have separate dbs!?

freida20 Thu 14-Sep-17 13:10:58

i had a crb for c/minding and more recently for volunteering in schools and in guiding. I can't find my original childminding DBS certificate (it was sent to ofsted for them to check it and all my other DBS certificates are more recent) but on my most recent ofsted i was asked to show it and told i need it to present it to parents. i want to order a replacement but dont know if i can get a copy - does anyone know if i can or do i need to order a new one? i've never been asked to show my dbs to a parent because the ofsted checks for registration are so strict and include the DBS so normally my registration certificare which as legally required is on display. any advice appreciated.

HSMMaCM Thu 14-Sep-17 07:11:36

That's interesting MaryAnn. 18 years ago DH and I already had CRB checks and had to get a new one for CM. I had to get another one for chaperoning and another one for guides. The new DBS system is better.

Maryann1975 Wed 13-Sep-17 22:39:52

I know a childminder who has been minding for over 30 years (would she have been registered 30 years ago? If she had to be, she was). She had a police check then and has never been crb'd or dbs'd for ofsted/childminding. They accepted she had a police check all those years ago and now accept that she has a guiding crb and that's fine.
I have been registered for 11 years and have also never had an ofsted crb. Again they have accepted my guiding and scouting checks and the same for my husband.

HSMMaCM Tue 12-Sep-17 21:09:50

Same as my DD. She's on the DBS update register. DH and I had an old CRB check

Doglikeafox Tue 12-Sep-17 20:54:18

I became a childminder just over a year ago and it was a requirement to be on the DBS update service, which I pay for yearly and checks my DBS and details each year.

nannynick Tue 12-Sep-17 07:51:04

Ofsted now uses the DBS Update service to do frequent rechecks.
As others have said, the old CRB checks that Ofsted did also have some kind of auto-update, so Ofsted does not do repeat applications.

The whole system is flawed anyway, it does not meet the requirements as set out in the Bichard report. Government at that time commissioned the report and then did not proceed with it's full findings. Politics hey!

If you feel the current system does not work, please talk to your MP and remind them of the Bichard report and get them to raise it in Parliament - would an ID card system for all childcare workers now be accepted?

HSMMaCM Tue 12-Sep-17 07:17:36

And a CRB/DBS could also just mean someone hasn't been caught yet.

I'm sure your CM is fine though

Borntobeamum Tue 12-Sep-17 04:40:21

I became a CM 23 yrs ago and had a Police Check. Nothing at all since.
Also remember that the crb/dbs is only valid on the day issued.
Your CM could get a DBS and then commit a crime!

HSMMaCM Tue 12-Sep-17 02:48:29

My piece of paper is 18 years old, but Ofsted assured me they run a check every year when I renew my registration.

readyteddyehohpo Mon 11-Sep-17 22:08:36

Just that really... or if you are a CM how often do you update? I have complete faith in my CM and think she's fantastic. And she's Ofsted registered, but her DBS was quite old (over 5yrs if I recall it correctly), same with her husband's. I did research it a bit when we first took her on and I'm sure it's perfectly legal, and must be fine with Ofsted, but having worked in school settings myself, where generally you update your DBS every 3 years, I was just wondering what the norm is? Seems odd that the guidelines in school and care settings would be so different! To be clear I have no cause for concern but am generally interested

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in