Talk

Advanced search

how early to look for childminders (pre-birth?)

(9 Posts)
MarmiteAndPB Fri 08-Sep-17 10:45:56

I'm starting to research childcare options for when I return from maternity leave - although the baby isn't even due until February!

The nursery attached to my work got me worried by saying that I needed to go on the waiting list now if I want a chance of a place in late 2018. So I'm looking at other nursery possibilities but I'm not even sure that we will want a nursery when the time comes.

I was just wondering whether I need to also be contacting potential childminders at this point, in case that's the route that we decide to take? Or would they not be interested in hearing from us unless we are already certain about what we want, which days/hours etc? (or at the very least, already have the baby safely born!)

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Maryann1975 Fri 08-Sep-17 20:23:35

I'm a childminder and if you phoned me asking about a place for late 2018, I would tell you to phone back nearer the time. It would also be very bad practise to accept money (deposit/retainer) for an unborn baby.

Pengggwn Sat 09-Sep-17 06:31:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrasswillbeGreener Sat 09-Sep-17 06:56:49

I guess something you could do, is phone up a childminder, explain that the nursery issue has worried you, and ask how far in advance would be appropriate to get back to them.

rhodes2015 Sat 09-Sep-17 07:01:08

Hi. I have an 8 week old baby, need her in nursery mid April 2018. I rang nursery 2 weeks ago and they said visit asap and pay deposit to hold place as they were already taking bookings for march 2018, so did both last week.
I'd say ring nurseries couple of weeks after having baby and see where they are up to with taking bookings.
I really wanted her to go to this particular nursery so didn't want to miss out.

HSMMaCM Sat 09-Sep-17 11:24:12

I advertised my September spaces soon after Christmas and had a parent contact me before her baby was born. I offered her a space, but said we would not be drawing up contracts, or taking deposits until after the baby was born.

janiedee Sat 09-Sep-17 15:19:27

I'm a childminder, I've had pregnant ladies come for a show around. I wouldn't take any money or sign a contract but I have pencilled in an unborn baby for a space, the mum in question came to see us at about 30 weeks and then again when he was about 2 months old. Most of us have an idea of when we may have spaces come available so its worth ringing around and getting a feel for what's available to you.

jannier Sat 09-Sep-17 15:40:32

I have parents look around and express an interest they then go on my list if I know a space is coming up and they contact me after baby is born to say if they are still interested I then give them the option once a space comes up of taking the space or not. I think meeting people and seeing settings gives you an idea of what type of setting you like. Ive had 3 sets of siblings born this year so those parents have booked my spaces one for returning April 18 and the others sooner but I still have their children.

MarmiteAndPB Mon 11-Sep-17 09:04:20

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful. It sounds as though I don't need to worry about it, but it might be worth contacting people in a few months to see how they personally operate a "waiting system", and be prepared to be told to come back later!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in