Talk

Advanced search

Banking issues

(13 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Tue 15-Aug-17 18:52:47

I'm a childminder. HSBC are being a bit difficult about my use of my personal account as a 'business' account. I've tried to explain I don't have a business name or address but it's very much 'computer says no' because I'm self employed.

I have a feeling they want me to open a business account with fees attached but I don't see why I should.

Any help please?

OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Tue 15-Aug-17 19:47:39

I didn't until I started work with DH and we setup a limited company.

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Aug-17 19:48:19

And they're personal cheques notnisineswink

Ylvamoon Tue 15-Aug-17 19:55:59

They can't force you ... I have similar problem with my bank. I have an old no frills student account. Once in a while, they run a campaign for changing it as it clearly don't make them money (but it does cost them a few pennies).

foolonthehill Tue 15-Aug-17 20:11:32

I have a no frills basic account with TSB. I just resolutely say no thanks when they "suggest" a "better" one. You don't have to have a separate business account as a childminder. Just the ability to trace your money for the benefit of the taxman.

Snap8TheCat Tue 15-Aug-17 20:52:55

Thank you. Good to know they can't force me. They've made me fill out a form with lots of odd questions and it's made me super nervous that they are going to shut me down.

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Aug-17 21:15:05

If they do, just take your business elsewhere.

FruitBadger Tue 15-Aug-17 21:23:14

OK, so legally there is nothing to say you must have a Business bank account if you are a Sole Trader, you can run your business and personal banking through the same account. If you have a Ltd Company then the Company does, legally, have to have its own bank account.

But... it is very common for banks to put a clause in their Ts&Cs to say you cannot use one of their personal accounts to run your business. Many Sole Traders ignore these rules and manage to fly under the radar, if the bank doesn't notice then you're finally if they start to ask questions then you may find they convert your account to a business one or close it completely. It's definitely worth keeping your head down and see if they go away but it might be worthwhile opening an account with a totally separate bank, just in case.

How do you pay into the account? Lots of cheque deposits can sometimes trigger questions.

Snap8TheCat Tue 15-Aug-17 21:33:28

No cheques, all internet transfers and childcare voucher companies so no cost really to them.

nannynick Wed 16-Aug-17 21:46:27

I wonder if it is the number of incoming transactions per month that is triggering it. Are there a lot of transactions, like more than 10, more than 20? I wonder what the threshold might be.

Snap8TheCat Wed 16-Aug-17 21:52:50

I have 11 mindees on the books so at least that many incoming. Not a massive amount of transactions outgoing though, I only have usually 2 pages of bank statements per month, same as DH.

Anyway they've restricted my daily withdrawal limit now, whilst the 'process my information'.

RandomMess Wed 16-Aug-17 22:15:44

Take your custom elsewhere!

Snap8TheCat Thu 17-Aug-17 12:04:07

I may not have a choice!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in