Talk

Advanced search

Any childminders gone to nannying?

(7 Posts)
thisgirlrides Wed 09-Aug-17 00:12:28

looking ahead to next year, I plan on giving up childminding when my youngest Leaves primary school and considering a move into nannying. I've had enough of the paperwork & want my house back but all the other part Time jobs I've looked up are barely minimum wage and I do enjoy looking after little ones so wondering whether nannying might be the answer. Anyone else done it and can advise?

OP’s posts: |
Snap8TheCat Wed 09-Aug-17 07:36:07

I am also thinking about this change so want to follow your thread. I do worry about the long hours and being out of the house and not seeing my children though. Missing all the pros of childminding would be massively difficult.

HSMMaCM Wed 09-Aug-17 08:24:29

At least 3 CMs in my area have changed to nannying. They seem happy with the choice. If you have small children of your own, you need to work out how it will fit in with them. You won't be home for deliveries etc and you won't be your own boss.

I love being my own boss and in my own home, but I do have a separate play room.

bigdonna Wed 09-Aug-17 12:54:30

hi i went from nannying to childminding to nannying back to childminding.i loved nannying before i had my children but childminding fits in so much better with my family life.im my own boss and yes the hrs are shorter.i only work part time.my children are now 18 and 20 but i still like to eat dinner with them most nights.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 10-Aug-17 22:17:59

Nannying may be the answer but some job she may. It went an 11yr tagging on duringholidays and hiw wihld you feel leaving your 11/12yr 11-12 hrs a day by theirselves 3/4/5 days a week

Tho saying that some families won't mind

Are there lots of nannies in your area

Snap8TheCat Fri 11-Aug-17 07:54:03

If the 11-12 year old is her youngest then, like me, she's probably thinking older siblings/ DH will be around for them.

nbee84 Fri 11-Aug-17 15:15:10

I returned to nannying after childminding. I was a nanny for 8 years after leaving school - with 3 of those taking my own dd with me. Once I had my ds I became a childminder as it worked much better for having 2 children and school runs etc.
I didn't go back to nannying until my youngest was 14 as until then I felt he was too young to come home to an empty house for more than an hour or so. By that age he was often out at friends or off playing sport so I wasn't needed so much.
I've been back to nannying for 8 years now. I enjoyed being a childminder and being able to slot some of my own chores into the day - putting a load of washing on the line, popping to the bank, being home for deliveries or things like boiler servicing. I don't miss the paperwork, my own home looking like a nursery and having to have lots of toys, stairgates, highchairs and things my own children no longer needed. I don't miss dealing with Ofsted - an Ofsted visit as a registered nanny is a cup of tea and a chat.
As a childminder I took only a couple of weeks holiday a year as I couldn't afford much more and also felt I couldn't let families down by not being available but being at home, so only took holiday if I was going away or at christmas. As a nanny I only get 2 weeks holiday a year that I can choose but also get around 3 weeks that parents have chosen plus bank holidays. I also get sick pay now but am not often ill so in 8 years have only had a few days off.
As a nanny you are an employee so you need to follow your employers wishes rather than being totally in charge of your own day and schedule. This has worked out fine for me. When being interviewed for jobs I'm fairly careful to ask questions and find out whether my potential boss has the same childcare ethos as me and whether they will be the type to micromanage each part of the day.
The working day can be long - you are covering the parents commute so even if you work for someone with a 9-5 job you will be needed 8-6 or similar. I quite like this as I work full time hours (currently 42 hours a week) over 4 days so I get a 3 day weekend.
Feel free to ask any more questions.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in