Talk

Advanced search

28 month old not speaking

(12 Posts)
user1499989776 Fri 14-Jul-17 01:04:59

Hi I'm new to mumsnet and I'm not sure if I'm posting this right. Anyway, I don't have a child but I do have a nephew who I look after twice a week. He is 28 months so nearly two and a half. He hasn't said a single word yet so I'm a little worried. All the other children I know at that age are speaking quite a lot. I just wondered if it's normal not to be speaking or is there something wrong. If so what could it be?

OP’s posts: |
nannynick Fri 14-Jul-17 07:56:48

Does he talk to his mum & dad?

Does he point to things that he wants?

It would cause me concern but I would want to look at the bigger picture, as some children are quiet in some situations.

Looneytune253 Fri 14-Jul-17 08:03:00

It depends. Does he make any sounds yet? He must be babbling? If not then yes defo a cause for concern. If it's full words or sentences you're missing i wouldn't be worried yet, he's still quite young.

jannier Fri 14-Jul-17 08:05:13

In registered care you would be tracking his development including speech and communication you could then do a referral and also get your inclusion officer to support you as it is I would get mum to talk to her Hv He should have either already had or be due a 2 year check but if its not been picked up you she could still call them. Childrens centres often have small talk sessions where you can get advice and possibly a referral.
Does he make normal babble noises and any recognisable sounds or indicate his needs in non verbal ways?
Does he need to speak or are adults always giving him what he wants anyway?

Bobbybobbins Fri 14-Jul-17 08:14:49

I would get in touch with his health visitor and ask for a referral to speech and language.

user1499989776 Fri 14-Jul-17 13:11:31

He can sort of babble but doesn't make very many different sounds. He doesn't speak to his parents. Everyone is always talking to him and trying to get a reply it nothing is working. The sounds he is marking now he has been doing for about 6 months without much progress. He has been getting very frustrated with not being able to communicate.

Doglikeafox Fri 14-Jul-17 16:11:40

How good is his communication in general? Do you understand what he wants? Is he able to follow directions 'e.g. Go and get your coat' and does he respond to his name or other sounds, such as a knock at the door he will look towards the door with expectation?
I am a childminder and if he were in my care and had not said a single world I would be referring him to a speech and language professional to make sure there was no medical cause for his lack of talking. I would also get him a hearing test to ensure he can actually hear the words you talk.
If all that came back normal, I would possibly look at speech and language therapy however if his communication and understanding is good and he can do the things I mentioned above, I wouldn't be too worried just yet.
I think it is very important that he gets refferred because if there is a medical cause or his hearing is the problem then not being able to speak/understand could be hampering different areas of his learning.

Notreallyarsed Fri 14-Jul-17 16:13:11

DS2 wasn't speaking at that age, it turns out he has glue ear (grommets pending) and ASD. He's now 3 1/2 and making slow but significant progress. It's worth a referral to audiology and speech and language, for reassurance and support if nothing else.

user1499989776 Fri 14-Jul-17 16:40:47

He has had a hearing test and everything is fine. He understands certain things but you have to act out what you want him to do? He definitely doesn't understand as much as others kids his age do.

Syc4moreTrees Fri 14-Jul-17 16:44:43

If you have noticed so have his parents. Leave it alone.

ImAFurchester Fri 14-Jul-17 16:46:19

Does he point?

user1499989776 Fri 14-Jul-17 17:01:52

Yes he does point.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in