Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding H&S - anyone know the rules round loose cabling?

(11 Posts)
HeyPesto55 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:18:33

Anyone have experience of an Ofsted inspection and loose phone cabling?

We have an annoying situation where our cabling runs under a rug across our hallway. Would trunking be ok? Ofsted inspection soon.

We've looked at relocating sockets/running under floorboards and the cost is prohibitive ATM. Any advice or experience greatly received, oh wise ones smile

GeorgeTheHamster Sat 01-Jul-17 09:31:26

What cabling?
Can you tack it round the room along the skirting?

insancerre Sat 01-Jul-17 09:41:26

I'm assuming you can't possibly mean your main electrify supply cables
You must mean some sort of extension lead that something plugs into
Can you just not remove it for your inspection?
And then use cable pins to run it along your skirting board

HeyPesto55 Sat 01-Jul-17 11:47:42

Thanks for the replies.

It's phone and modem cabling. We can't get longer cables which means it doesn't tack along the wall annoyingly. We could remove it for the inspection but we do need a safe, long term solution. I guess maybe trunking...

Just wondered if anyone had any experience?

Snap8TheCat Sat 01-Jul-17 11:50:11

If you can't get it long enough to tack on the skirting boards how are you going to use trunking? Just buy a longer cable!

insancerre Sat 01-Jul-17 12:09:29

Can you re site your phone and or modern?
My router is upstairs in my bedroom because the phone socket downstairs isn't near the plug socket
But the one in the bedroom is

HeyPesto55 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:42:01

I was thinking that the only option would be those cable mats (not sure what they're called) that cover cables on the floor. Trunking is not the right word obviously! We can't get Sky to supply longer cables and can't move the site of the socket before Ofsted arrive (and it's pricey in our case).


Snap8TheCat Sat 01-Jul-17 19:47:59

You don't need sky to supply them, can't you buy them yourself?

Snap8TheCat Sat 01-Jul-17 19:48:48

Are you already registered and awaiting a grading inspection or hoping to become registered?

jannier Sun 02-Jul-17 21:47:47

Buy a longer one from Maplins or similar on line so you can re root.
There are no strict rules other than you must risk assess and make safe anything that you find could pose a the cables must not be a trip hazard how you address his is up to you taping the cable may work but could ruin your floor.

HeyPesto55 Tue 04-Jul-17 22:53:56

Sorry for the break and thanks for the replies. I'll keep investigating the longer cable route... maybe this is the answer then. My DH is registered and awaiting his inspection smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: