Talk

Advanced search

As a parent, would you find this too bossy?

(213 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Wed 14-Jun-17 21:54:47

I'm a well established childminder and when a new family starts with me I provide them with a pack of my policies and procedures and all the forms I need completing.

I'm thinking of adding a page to iron out little niggles that invariably crop up. Things like, please name clothing, don't drop off early without prior arrangement, i prefer nappies instead of pull ups, no lace up shoes etc etc

It's all worded very friendly but firmly. I feel it's better to air these things before they become a problem and I have to find a way of bringing it up.

However I'm dithering over whether to include it or not. Parents, what do you think?

OP’s posts: |
Sirzy Wed 14-Jun-17 21:56:28

Wouldn't bother me. I think for most parents all of them bar the nappies bit would fall into the "well obviously" type category!

3boys3dogshelp Wed 14-Jun-17 21:57:00

I think I'd be happier if you told me up front rather than have to tell me to change what I was doing. Go for it.

surroundedbyblondes Wed 14-Jun-17 21:57:19

Could you write those things from a slightly different angle - kind of like Frequently Asked Questions ?

Rachie1986 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:57:47

No advice but why do you prefer nappies to pull ups??

5OBalesofHay Wed 14-Jun-17 21:58:14

How old for no lace up shoes?

BoraThirch Wed 14-Jun-17 22:00:48

Depends when they can do them up themselves!

ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 14-Jun-17 22:02:05

I'd maybe just have a think about the ones that are really important to you, so it doesn't read like a big rule book.

GreenTulips Wed 14-Jun-17 22:02:30

I'd go for the child angle

i really wish to take care of your child and their belongings - I would appreciate your help in naming items of clothing

Your child is important to me and I wish to help the succeed in all areas of developement for example - potty training is simpler then using nappies and preferred to pull-ups

I am happy to accept your child earlier than normal by prior arrangement only - A charge of £X will be payable for each 15 minuets that haven't been agreed

Snap8TheCat Wed 14-Jun-17 22:02:46

That's more of the format it's written in blondes. A welcome page 'I hope this answers any queries you may have but any further questions, do not hesitate to ask!'

Nappies because I can change them in 30 seconds flat, pull ups I have to arse around redressing the bottom half of the child. Even worse if they have shoes on.

Lace ups are fine for children who can tie laces. Not one year olds.

NapQueen Wed 14-Jun-17 22:03:42

Why nappies instead of pull ups?

And why non laced shoes? Surely you dont have more than 3 kids at a time who cant di laces? Its hardly weaving the Bayeux Tapestry each time you want to go to the swings.

Snap8TheCat Wed 14-Jun-17 22:03:56

It's one A4 page, four sub headings!

MrsELM21 Wed 14-Jun-17 22:05:28

Sounds good to me!

LottieDoubtie Wed 14-Jun-17 22:05:56

I would be a bit hmm about some of it.

If a parent is wanting to do pull ups I think that's a valid choice. I want a childminder who says 'great, I'll work with you to make potty training work' not 'I can't be arsed to take his shoes off'

Snap8TheCat Wed 14-Jun-17 22:06:58

Potty training? I haven't mentioned potty training? confused

LottieDoubtie Wed 14-Jun-17 22:07:09

Naming clothes and early drop offs I would totally support you with. Lace ups are a bit of a grey area- I mean how long does it take to tie a double bow!?

LottieDoubtie Wed 14-Jun-17 22:07:34

Surely the point of pull ups is to ease potty training!?

Snap8TheCat Wed 14-Jun-17 22:08:01

There is a new wave of parents using pull ups for babies from 9 months plus! Not potty training!

LottieDoubtie Wed 14-Jun-17 22:09:19

Ok I would gently suggest to them that they are wasting their money then! Pull ups are more expensive.

But you can't say I can't be bothered to re dress your child without getting a hmm reaction I don't think.

suffolknclose Wed 14-Jun-17 22:09:43

Some parents put children in pull ups so they can just pull them on and tear off for changing - nothing to do with potty training. In fact I'd argue using them for potty training makes even less sense!

suffolknclose Wed 14-Jun-17 22:10:36

OP - none of that would bother me because it's all common sense but I have heard stories which mean I understand not all parents have this common sense/etiquette/general decency!

TheHyacinthGirl Wed 14-Jun-17 22:11:20

I was one of the parents using pull ups from 9 months + - pigs would have flown before you managed to get a nappy on my DS grin
He hated it and used to bang his head repeatedly against whatever I was lying him on to change him, scream and kick. It was so much easier to whip off trousers, pull up, new pull up, do up vest again and put trousers back on, than to contend with the 15 minute battle that ensued at nappy time.
The rest sounds fine and obvious.

surroundedbyblondes Wed 14-Jun-17 22:11:49

Sounds good to me. I would appreciate you being straight and up front.

BoraThirch Wed 14-Jun-17 22:12:02

I think you know what works in your setting OP, and so long as you are upfront parents can decide if it is the setting for them or not.

Intransige Wed 14-Jun-17 22:12:03

It's similar to what our nursery specifies, it wouldn't bother me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in