Talk

Advanced search

Rounding hours & skipped days

(20 Posts)
Caiooo Sat 03-Jun-17 22:37:58

DD (age 6) currently attends childminder 1 hour before school every day + 1 hour 15m after school 4 days a week, so total 10 hours a week. The 1:15 is rounded to 1:30, so we pay for 11 hours, no problem with this.

From September I am reducing my hours at work. I have asked the childminder if she can have DD before school 4 days 1 week, 5 days next & after school 3 days every week. When we first asked her verbally, she said we would have to pay for 5 mornings every week which I said would be fine.

She's now emailed to give us a new quote for next year, and she has also rounded the 1:15 afternoons to 2 hours each. This means we would be using 8:15 on average but still paying for 11, which she explained in the email is because it needs to be "financially viable" for her.

I wanted ask you all whether this seems normal before I start haggling or looking for somewhere else?

OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Sun 04-Jun-17 08:46:32

It's a new contract, so if she has changed her terms to minimum 2 hours after school, then that is right. However, it does mean you should be able to use the two hours if you want to.

Snap8TheCat Sun 04-Jun-17 08:50:33

A few years ago I changed school pick up to a flat fee regardless of pick up time. I had an influx of enquiries that only wanted an hour and unfortunately it's just not worth it when I could have a child staying until 6pm (my finish time anyway with other children) so three times as much money.

I think it sounds fine personally.

Snap8TheCat Sun 04-Jun-17 08:52:29

Would you really haggle or move your child? Seems extreme.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 04-Jun-17 08:52:53

I'm another who has a flat fee for wrap around otherwise with food and entertainment it's just not worth it. As it is I barely make a profit and am increasing prices from September.

cupofteaplease Sun 04-Jun-17 08:55:47

If you have reduced your hours, then I'm assuming you've reduced your income- so the situation needs to be financially viable for you too. Therefore, I would look for a new childcare provider, or leave your child there for the full two hours she is charging, and use that time to run errands etc.

user1492287253 Sun 04-Jun-17 08:57:13

i do think that flat fee makes sense. in my experience good childminders that offer asc are like gold dust. if your child is happy and you are happy i wouldnt quibble. i would think about utilising the time you are paying for

JigglyTuff Sun 04-Jun-17 09:02:51

Don't haggle. She's changed her terms - it's up to you if you want to agree to her terms or not.

WyfOfBathe Sun 04-Jun-17 16:51:23

Would you really haggle or move your child? Seems extreme.
Well my income will reduce by 20%, so I was hoping that childcare costs would reduce as well.

However, it sounds like this is normal so I think I will stick with it.

Snap8TheCat Sun 04-Jun-17 17:09:20

Are you the OP?

Snap8TheCat Sun 04-Jun-17 17:11:12

You're choosing to reduce your hours though, not the CMs fault? Not sure why she should have to have her income slashed too. You're taking up an after school slot that prohibits the CM from filling with another child.

Love51 Sun 04-Jun-17 17:17:28

I've always had to pay for a whole hour. So 75 mins would be 2 hours. It does mean you can run errands on the way home though.

gamerwidow Sun 04-Jun-17 17:47:14

She's within her rights to change her terms if it's not economically viable for her. In your position I would either accept the new contract but use all the hours you have paid for or if you can't afford it then look elsewhere.

thisgirlrides Sun 04-Jun-17 21:22:31

I do a flat fee for after school so your bill wouldn't reduce if you cut your hours with me, however, it does sound like she verbally agreed one thing and then charged something else so I would query it again. That said, 2 hours is very good (I & most others I know charge minimum 2.5/3hrs) so dont go in too heavy in case she gives you notice & takes on someone who needs longer hours!

WillowWeeping Sun 04-Jun-17 21:25:21

If you can afford it I'd be inclined to continue to pay but use that extra 45 mins as an opportunity to complete other weekday chores dabs child

Caiooo Sun 04-Jun-17 22:41:18

Yes, sorry, that was me. Name change fail!

You're choosing to reduce your hours though, not the CMs fault? Not sure why she should have to have her income slashed too. You're taking up an after school slot that prohibits the CM from filling with another child.
It's not the CM's fault at all, but generally when you use a service less you pay less? I'm not on a crusade to slash people's incomes.

But like I said, if this seems normal I will sign the new contract.

OP’s posts: |
TupperwareTat Sun 04-Jun-17 22:44:38

I used to pay only for time used, in 15, 30, 45 & 60 minute slots.

Snap8TheCat Mon 05-Jun-17 09:49:59

Depending how you look at it though, you're not using it less. You still require one after school space. How long you use it for is sort of irrelevant. The CM only has, for example, 6 spaces to sell. You want one of them. And early pick up means nothing to a cm if they can't sell the unused time (no one is going to use 4.30-6)

It's like a hotel and booking a room. Early check out at 7am does not mean a cheaper rate.

Or paying for council tax when you're on holiday and not using any services.

Or Hiring a car for the day and only driving 2 miles.

jannier Mon 05-Jun-17 14:27:03

I charge after school at one rate I cant go back and refill so its that or just say no to people who want less than the 3 hours care I charge for....remember to to collect a child you need to leave before they are due out so any children with you need to be sorted before I charge 15 mins before pick up time to travel. My morning fee is also a flat fee anytime from 7.30 to 8.50 will be 2 hours minimum again I have only so many spaces school runs are more stressful than 3 toddlers all day.

She is perfectly in her rights to alter terms with correct notice as are you to choose to say no Ill go elsewhere,

Lindy2 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:05:15

There are limits on the number of children she can look after. Your child takes up a full after school place regardless of whether she's there half an hour or 3 hours. I assume that you either need to pay her minimum fee or go elsewhere as she'll replace your daughter's place with a child who needs more hours and is a better option financially. She is running a business and needs to make it work. You can of course see if another childminder is available who may have a different fee structure and be happy with less after school work.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in