Advanced search

Childminding from a rented property

(8 Posts)
bababia Thu 18-May-17 09:04:08

Well I'm thinking of beginning a (small) childminding business whilst my child is still a baby (he's 3 months). I am a teacher so am dbs checked, I just have to do the childminding course. My concern is my rented property... we are currently looking at renting a lovely little flat, which is across the road from a huge green and play area. Should I ask my potential landlord for permission to childmind before taking occupation or wait a few months and prove to be good tenants before broaching the topic? I am only looking to start in about 3 months time and mind 2 or 3 children.

OP’s posts: |
Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 18-May-17 09:05:49

My tenancy states I can't run a business from this address. . Have a check on yours. .

bababia Thu 18-May-17 14:07:29

Thanks @Justmadeperfectflapjacks but we have not yet made an offer therefore no tenancy agreement. I have asked the agent to enquire for me but I don't have much hope!

OP’s posts: |
feelingsickaboutit Thu 18-May-17 21:04:25

The registration process may take way longer than 3 months. Your partner will need DBS as well. You will be refused registration if you don't have landlord's permission (Ofsted checks this). I'd ask before you commit to renting as it will save you disappointment if the answer is no.

bababia Fri 19-May-17 08:54:35

Thank you for your reply. My partner is a teacher too so fortunately we are both in possession of up-to-date dbs. I have asked the agent who doesn't seem to think it'll be a problem but will now push her to speak to the landlord.

OP’s posts: |
Snap8TheCat Fri 19-May-17 14:03:53

I think you'll both need new dbs checks still.

Sunnyshores Fri 19-May-17 14:11:26

My building insurance is invalid if my tenant runs a business from the house. So Id make sure ll has checked this too - if there was some serious damage to the property and insurance wont pay out, the ll may attempt to come after you.

TT38 Thu 29-Jun-17 10:36:07

Hi, I've done it for 14 years and always rented apart from when I owned my last house for 2 years, now I'm back in rented.
Never had any trouble but you do need to check as their insurance can be invalid.
You'll also need new DBS checks. Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in