We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

30 hrs free childcare - 100k before tax?

(4 Posts)
user1470584717 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:32:03

Hi,

We are currently paying 3 x childcare, my youngest is 3, me and my husband work long hours so we pay a lot on childcare. Infact, my full salary goes straight to my childminder.

Could someone tell me whether this 100k criteria is household income before tax or after tax? I think it's before but thought I double check before filling in the form for my childminder!

Is this 100k limit also applies to tax free childcare too?

Many thanks in advance.

Em

60percentbanana Wed 26-Apr-17 22:07:00

The 100k limit is the gross income before deductions for each parent. So one parent might be earning 10k and the other 101k and they wouldn't qualify. However a couple where the parents earn 99k each, 198k combined, would.

hookiewookie29 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:02:10

The tax free childcare is the same as childcare vouchers.It's nothing to do with the 30 hours.
www.gov.uk/government/news/tax-free-childcare-launches-today-for-children-under-four

nannynick Thu 27-Apr-17 06:18:50

The 100k taxable income also applies to tax-free childcare eligibility and it is per parent, not household.

If someone earned £101k gross the family would not be eligible but they should keep in mind that it is taxable income, so there can be ways of reducing that (such as increasing pension contribution deducted at source).

With three children, tax-free childcare could be worth up to £6000 (max contribution of £2000 per eligible child). To get £6000 contribution, childcare cost (which can include employers NI if employing a nanny) would need to be £30k+.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now