Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any childminders around who DOESNT use their own house to childminder from?

(33 Posts)
2anddone Sun 16-Apr-17 19:39:04

Hi smile
I am in the process of re-registering as a cm. The only thing that is putting me off is the fact my house will no longer be my home and more a place of business (baby things/toys back out, stair gates/equipment back out not to mention the certificate and OFSTED paraphernalia that needs to be on display during working hours!
My friend has offered me his empty house which he no longer lives into cm from, this would mean I would arrive before minders in morning and come home in the evening to a 'baby free' environment where I can switch off!
My question is in the eyes of OFSTED would this even be allowed to do under the registering as a cm on domestic premises on the compulsory register (would have under 8's as well as over as planning to work term time only)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you smile

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 19:42:44

Im almost certain that as long as you register as a CM at this new property then it would be fine, with them knowing it isnt your home address, and insurance covers you rather than the building.

However, once you then add in the fact that there will be utilities to pay, probably council tax as the property isnt vacant, and what if he then decides to sell it.

Essentially you will be running two homes. This will massively dip into your already narrow profit margin.

Willow2017 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:51:35

You would have to have the other house inspected to ensure it was suitable. You would need contents insurance for that house. If you are providing food you would need environmental health to inspect the kitchen.
There would be utilities to pay for.

Does your friend own the house outright? If he pays a mortgage he may need to check with mortgage provider that you can use it as a place of business.

I cant see all the extra expense leaving you with much of an income.

The whole point of child minding is that it's in the cm own home so kids do things they would do at home with her /him. Even simple stuff like putting washing out is a learning experience.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 20:54:40

Nap queen, you're not a cm and every bit of advice I see you give is incorrect!

op to register as a cm at this property, somebody has to be living there. It doesn't have to be you, but someone does. Otherwise you need to register as a childcarer on non-domestic premises.

HeyCat Sun 16-Apr-17 20:56:56

It's a weird idea, and would put me off choosing you as a CM. it's supposed to be a home environment, whereas this would be more like a really small nursery, not a real home.

Also you're either going to charge higher fees to cover the extra costs, or you're going to make no money!

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 21:01:15

Nap queen, you're not a cm and every bit of advice I see you give is incorrect!

Eh?

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:20:20

What bit don't you understand?

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 21:24:18

I just dont understand how you know or care enough about what I say to conclude that "every bit of advice" you see me give is "incorrect!". Or know whether I am a CM or not.

It seems a bit aggressive and personal.

cheminotte Sun 16-Apr-17 21:27:20

It may be technically legal, but as pp says it doesn't sound like a childminders to me.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:27:46

Are you a childminder?

I am being neither aggressive or personal (whatever that means). I'm sorry you feel I am.

However I am justified in saying your advice here (and on other threads) is incorrect.

Yukbuck Sun 16-Apr-17 21:28:20

Actually snap I think a lot of what nap is saying is potentially correct.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:29:31

No it's not.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:32:26

And I'll just clarify, I'm talking about the fact that the OP asked if she can CM from an empty house, with nobody calling it their home address. Nap queen replied that she was 'almost certain' that it would be fine and I'm saying that no, someone has to be living there, even if it's not the OP otherwise the she can only register as childcare on non-domestic premises.

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 21:34:30

No I am not a CM. Nor have I ever claimed to be one.

I am fascinated to know what other incorrect information ive given out on other threads seeing as this is the first time youve ever commented on my posts.

Posts on MN are not only open to experts in their respective fields. This is an open forum for anyone who wishes to offer a (hopefully) helpful comment. I grew up in the home of a CM who still works as one. I would never claim to know the intricacies of the job, however it doesnt need a CM to point out that there would be additional costs involved to the OPs suggested way of running her business.

I used the word personal to mean exactly what it means. Personal. You made a comment about me specifically as a MN user not only on this thread but apparently on every thread Ive ever left a comment or suggestion on. Like you in some way know, or went and looked, at what I post.

2anddone Sun 16-Apr-17 21:36:49

Thanks for the advice, I will look at plan B instead as hadn't considered the extra higher outgoings such as council tax!!

Yukbuck Sun 16-Apr-17 21:39:22

I read your post, snap, as telling nap that all the advice in her post was incorrect. Which I was cross about.

But the fact you've actually said that she's incorrect on all her posts is just horrible and, in my opinion, verging on bullying. She is free to give advice as are we all. And to go back and look at other posts are just horrible.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:40:02

I wasn't talking about the additional costs you pointed out. I explained my issue in my previous post.

And I completely agree it's a forum where everyone can join in with the questions and topics raised. Of course that's allowed and rightly so. Equally I am allowed to point out when incorrect advice has been given. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 21:41:58

I haven't gone back and looked at any of her posts. I commented on one other thread yesterday where she gave advice about ratios. Her username I remembered as I quoted her name when I replied.

No searching or stalking of napqueen has been done. I just remembered one post yesterday.

Maryann1975 Sun 16-Apr-17 21:51:50

I am fascinated to know what other incorrect information ive given out on other threads seeing as this is the first time youve ever commented on my posts.
napqueen I've been on another thread recently where you have given out incorrect advice about childminding (at least it's incorrect in England) so snap is correct there and has corrected you before.

I agree that my registration as a childminder means I work from a domestic property. You can be a childminder from non domestic properties but from a parents point of view I guess that becomes more of a small nursery.

NuffSaidSam Sun 16-Apr-17 21:53:44

To be fair to Snap, this is of course an open forum and anyone can post on any topic/subject, but it's quite unhelpful to post incorrect advice. Mumsnet becomes useless if it's just a collection of misinformation.

I could go and post on the living overseas category about life in Yemen, but I won't because I don't know anything about it...

Also, it's easy to remember other users if you're here regularly. It doesn't amount to bullying or stalking, just having a memory!

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 21:54:47

I may have to go and look at my own previous posts then as you seem to have a better recollection of them than me. Any ratio info is based on what my own CM works by, and my CM mother.

Probably best if I just refrain from ever commenting on a CM thread again. And maybe give snap a swerve generally.

Yukbuck Sun 16-Apr-17 21:59:21

Nap queen, you're not a cm and every bit of advice I see you give is incorrect! snap... you said the above and then you said it was just a post yesterday and today.

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 22:01:15

Ok. Ive located my previous comment on the ratio thread. As I understand (and as I said, as is the comments Ive had made to me by two CMs), Ofsted do not have a limit on mindees aged 8+. Ofsted must be satisfied that the care given to all children isnt hindered by the number of 8+s you have, but there is not an actual official figure given by them of how many 8+yos a minder can have at one time.

Is that incorrect?

NapQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 22:02:16

Maybe shes only ever seen me give two bits of advice grin yuk

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 22:04:01

That's right. That's every bit I've seen! What exactly is incorrect about my statement?

Look, I'm sorry people don't like being told they're wrong. I happen to know my job and it's statutory guidance quite well. It would be daft not to point out incorrect information given to someone who has started a thread to ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now