Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hours cut and now being asked late notice

(6 Posts)
Thoughtfulduck Mon 03-Apr-17 23:55:55

I've worked for this family for over three years now and get on with them very well usually.

I used to do 12 hour days for them and recently have been cut to 8 hour days. That was a bit of a pain as obviously it's less money but it isn't my only job so it's not the end of the world.

My problem is that they are really starting to mess me around! Nearly every week they leave it until the day before and ask me to come in two hours early and/or work two hours later than usual. I'm lucky if I get 24 hours warning as a few times they have left me high and dry with the kids and called 15 minutes before my agreed home time to tell me they are going to be 2 hours late.

I've told them that I need warning of any overtime and I have also refused to do a few late nights if I already have plans...but they are not getting the message!

I feel like they are really taking advantage as they have obviously cut my set hours but seem to think I am available whenever they need me!

So what do I do now? It's getting really awkward when I keep having to tell them I can't stay late/come early and I end up feeling pressured into cancelling my plans. How do I put my foot down without upsetting them or making things awkward?

DPotter Tue 04-Apr-17 00:22:13

I think the parents are being unfair on you wanting to pay you for shorter hours but having you available just in case. I have no personal experience of either being a nanny or employing one, however working from first principles I would suggest the following;
*. Decide what would be a reasonable amount of notice of request early /late to your start / finish times. It may vary by day, so you might want a week's notice for a late finish on Friday but 24 hrs for a Tuesday.
*. Decide what rate you will charge additional time
*. Draw up a list of changes to your standard times since they dropped your hours so you can see exactly what's happening,e.g. Is it always a early start on Tuesday and a late finish on Wednesday
* Request to meet with the parents to discuss, armed with this information - you could give them the diary of changes at this stage
* At the meeting, say this new arrangement isn't working for you because of the irregular nature of the hours they are wanting you to work. Give them solutions- they revert to paying you for longer days as before, give them your new charges for 'short notice overtime', and ask them to put in place a fall back carer for when they are unexpectedly late and you can't cover.
Ultimately only you can decide whether you wish to continue to work for them if they do not negotiate with you. I think you will need to toughen up and refuse a few requests just to re-assert some control.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 04-Apr-17 01:16:04

I think I would offer a double or time and a half rate for extra hours.. And quietly look for new employment.

nannynick Tue 04-Apr-17 06:12:52

Have a meeting, agree an amendment to the contract that includes working hours and if there is any flexibility to those hours.

You need to make it clear that you need to know what you are doing in advance, so if flexible hours is ok with you then consider how much advanced notice is needed, such as a week.

Look at why the hours keep changing - are the parents getting short notice themselves from their employer?

ivykaty44 Tue 04-Apr-17 06:19:05

I would set out charges for "late child care" make it a decent price per hour
Charge for late call out at a set £5 each late call out
48 hours notice no call out charge

Money is often heard FAR louder than other methods

The parents had the child care covered, offer the 12 hours cover at a set price again.

Otherwise if it's late notice it's going to cost for the inconvenience

scattysally Fri 19-May-17 08:28:34

Emergency overtime rate when less than 24 hours notice given needs to be high - our preschool charges £10 per 15 minutes as do some childminders. Or you can say no, as its not contracted, you have other commitments and cannot work longer than contracted this week/ever.

Another option is to do a shiftworkers contract where the parents pay a retainer to reserve longer hours, so they'd pay full fees for the booked hours (8 hours plus any extra hours) and, say half fees for 12 hours less the booked hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now