Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Overnight childcare costs

(11 Posts)
Greydiddi Sat 01-Apr-17 07:11:51

Sorry I know this has been done several times before, but was wondering if any nannies could give me an idea.

We are going to have to get my nanny in as a one off to look after the kids Friday to Sunday morning. We have asked her how much she charges but she has asked us to suggest an amount instead ( as apparently her last employers were 'very generous' ( I think they paid her more than her hourly rate at the weekend, including overnight) so she doesn't know what is reasonable to suggest!

We are in London and pay £12 an hour net usually.

I'm a bit lost as our previous nanny refused overnight pay the one time she did it for us as she wanted to do it as a leaving gift. I asked my next door neighbours but their nanny doesn't charge for overnight (just babysitting to 11 and then from 7) so that isn't any help!

Kids are 3 and 5 and sleep through - unless unwell of course.

Any advice would be great.

I work in N.London and charge

Standard rate until 10pm
Then £40 to cover until they wake up for they day
Then Standard rate (£12ph)

So 4pm-12pm with a 7am wake up would be £172 broken down as

£12x6 (4-10pm) £72
£40 cover until 7am
£12x5 (7am-12pm) £60

Greydiddi Sat 01-Apr-17 09:36:09

Thanks!

nannynick Sat 01-Apr-17 10:34:15

Usual rate for daytime (so say 6am-7pm). If you have already negotiated a babysitting rate, then that for 7pm-11pm or if not, their normal day rate. Then 11pm-6am I would expect a bit of a discount, so maybe £40-50 for that bit.

Greydiddi Sat 01-Apr-17 13:48:55

Thanks nanny

Doglikeafox Sat 01-Apr-17 17:51:13

I charge hourly until 7pm, then £40 7pm-7am, then normal rate again. I'm in the north west.

Yukbuck Sat 01-Apr-17 23:16:26

Normal rate until 10pm then overnight £30 then normal rate from 6am. My overnight fee has stayed the same for quite a few years though.

user1483387154 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:53:46

I charge hourly at time and a half for overtime (within normal working hours) then it would be plus £50-£70 for overnight care depending on if normal rate or overtime rate.

However I am a fully qualified Nanny with over 12 years experience so my rates are higher than some.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 02-Apr-17 19:57:04

£150-200 per 24hrs seems to be "going rate"

Have a lovely weekend away (assuming its lesuire ☺)

Greydiddi Sun 02-Apr-17 22:23:33

Thanks eastsmile. First night away as a couple since my eldest was born 5 1/2 years ago as we don't have anyone else who will look after the kids. Long time saved up for (my 40th) but hopefully we will find something to talk about wink

Forresitters1 Mon 03-Apr-17 07:22:01

Just pay her usual rate of pay. Not everyone can afford to be generous like her previous bosses and if you agree to a higher rate she will probably expect you to pay her this each time you ask for an overnight stay.
Either £12ph all throughout or half the fee at night.
So her usual £12ph from the time she starts until when the children go to sleep or until 12am for example and then pay half (£6ph) whilst the children are sleeping until they wake up and it resumes to normal hourly rate.
She gets a great wage regardless of which one you go for anyway as you do pay her well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now