Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare advice needed Mornings only

(10 Posts)
Masteringmummyhood Tue 28-Mar-17 10:13:38

Hi
I'm a teacher returning to work in September on a part time basis. Ill be working 1 full day and 3 mornings a week. I have the day covered as OH has that day off but will need childcare for 3 mornings (8am to 1pm) and not sure where to start? My LO will be 10 months - will nurseries just do morning sessions? Will childminders just do 3 mornings a week? Which would be best? Am i being realistic here? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated by a first time mum.

HookandSwan Tue 28-Mar-17 10:47:36

Nurserys will do morning sessions, you could consider a nanny bringing her own child as it will be cheaper and your more likely to find a part time nanny.

I'm pretty sure childminders would be ok with mornings. I don't know much about childminders but I've worked in nursery before becoming a nanny.

PineappleExpress Tue 28-Mar-17 10:54:23

I know nurseries and childminders who just do half days. I thought it was normal.
I would think a part time nanny who only wanted to do three mornings a week would be much harder to find.

Lules Tue 28-Mar-17 10:58:41

Lots of nurseries do half days but might your hours be too long for that? Ones I've seen have been 8-12.30, maybe 1, and even if you leave bang on time you'll still have the commute to do. Unless I'm reading your OP wrong.

jannier Tue 28-Mar-17 12:29:37

Child-minders will do this too and often you can find ones happy to do term time only or 3 days a week. As all registered settings work to and are inspected by the same standards and bodies its just about what fits best and feels right for you. Contact you local families information service for lists of registered settings near you.

exercisejunkie Tue 28-Mar-17 20:14:22

Don't s'pose you live in Herts do you? I'm a nanny and need to fill those exact hours in sept.

Masteringmummyhood Tue 28-Mar-17 21:19:58

No north of England I'm afraid or that would have been perfect! Thanks for all of the advice x

Starlight2345 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:57

I am a childminder and would do those hours.. I like the quieter afternoons and then get time with my own child.

If you go on the county website you will find a list of childminders. Some also offer term time contracts which keep costs down.

ninjapants Tue 28-Mar-17 21:28:06

Go on childcare.co.uk and search for nurseries and childminders in your area. You can advertise for childcare too. The hours you are working should make it easy to find suitable childcare.

Maryann1975 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:50:27

Some childminders might offer those hours, but realistically, you might struggle as the cm would then struggle to fill the rest of the hours for the day and therefore be only working/being paid for half the day. It might fit with someone's circumstances though, maybe they could take an extra after school child for example to make up the hours/money.
Always worth phoning round a few and seeing what local Childminder's say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now