Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny quit, worried about it happening again

(12 Posts)
Chloris33 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:38:55

My part time (2 day a week) nanny just quit. She didn't have much experience as she was changing careers, and found looking after my 2 year old 'too tiring'. He's a pretty active toddler but has never even had a tantrum for her - I think the work just isn't for her. She admitted in the conversation that followed that she prefers looking after placid children who nap. I employed her as I really liked her and she was so lovely to my son, who loves her. Bummer. I've got a month to decide what to do. He's due to start a few preschool sessions then anyway and they've said they can give us more sessions to cover the hours. I'm really nervous if I get another nanny that you never know when they might quit, or what's going on in their lives. But I hadn't really wanted him to do a full day at preschool yet. I don't mind that preschool is term time only, though that's not ideal, as I also get the school holidays. Do nannies quit a lot do you think? I think ours had a pretty good deal. She wasn't keen on preparing his meals so I did all his lunch boxes, made sure she had proper sick pay etc as per a good employer.

wizzywig Mon 27-Mar-17 21:43:49

She probably thought itd be an easy job. You see these adverts that pay well and she thinks "oh its just playing with a kid for a bit". And then she had a taste of reality. I guess go for someone who has done the job. Its a pain when you go to the hassle of contracts, payroll, dbs etc etc and they leave.

Starlight2345 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:44:03

I would look at pre school for the full hours if they can cover they will soon adapt and will save you a fortune..Can you manage work wise term time only?

Chloris33 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:51:57

Yes, I can manage work wise as I work in a school. It's just that DC had a taste of nursery prior to 3 months with this nanny and wasn't happy, whereas he loved the nanny. But I guess he's a bit older now (27 months), and it's a different nursery... Just want something that works and that DC is happy with.

nannynick Mon 27-Mar-17 22:21:37

This evening on a nanny group I am on, we were talking about how long we had been in our jobs. Some would say a few months, many said several years, some of us - like me - said that we had been in our job over 5 years.

So it really does vary. You don't know how long it will last. In the same way, pre-school staff change... some may be there for years, others may move on quickly.

Many people working in childcare do stay in a job for years. When they find a family they gel with, then it can last for a long time, even after the need for childcare is gone, they may stay in touch as a family friend.

dontblameme Tue 28-Mar-17 10:26:35

Is it two long days? That's a lot for an inexperienced nanny. Could you break them into half days? Are there places to go to break up the day, park/library/toddler group? I've found nannying one child can be way more exhausting than two or even three children.

HookandSwan Tue 28-Mar-17 10:43:14

She sounds a bit lazy to me. A placid child who naps"

my Jobs have lasted 2 years but this was mainly to working for non English family's who have moved back to their respective country's and the job therefore coming to a natural end.

My last job ended because I bought a flat and needed live out.

My new job the baby is 12 months and I hope to stay untill she's at school full time.

jannier Tue 28-Mar-17 12:36:18

If you want a home environment you can also look at a child-minder many of whom have the same qualifications and experience if not higher than room leaders in nursery but have chosen to offer the service from a more family feeling setting. The days of women doing it just for a few years and not as a career have long gone with most staying in the profession for the rest of their working lives. Things like part time and term time only.

Shezza71 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:16:45

The problem you have here is that in hiring an older more experienced nanny they will be looking for a long term role and with a child who is due to start at nursery and then into full time school that might be off putting.
Could you advertise for a temporary nanny. Or a nanny with their own child who would like to bring their child along

user1483387154 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:22:32

You need to find a qualified Nanny with experience. There are many who will take part time jobs.

Lalalandfill Sun 02-Apr-17 20:40:22

Some nannies are useless and quitters, some just don't gel with your family for whatever reason, some are lovely and love you but then have to leave for personal reasons, some stay for years. This particular one just sounds like a flake, you making the child's lunches - er, no. Being a nanny is hard work and she clearly didn't realise it. But yes, nannies upping and leaving is one of the big downsides of that type of childcare and you have to decide if it's worth your while or not to risk it

Forresitters1 Mon 03-Apr-17 07:27:44

No please don't be put off by your recent experience! There are lots of wonderful nannies/nannies out there! What area are you as perhaps I could suggest some people, agencies, websites etc. for you to sift through?
Also pre school might be a good idea for him, I think you just have to find what the right fit is for you and your family. Take into account though that if he is unwell you will need to stay home with him whereas with a nanny she can take care of him at home and also for the half terms too.

Good luck though. I hope you find a perfect solution😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now