Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What kind of carer am I? CV trouble

(7 Posts)
Summer1622 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:54:44

This rather an odd question, I suppose I have always considered myself an au-pair but I am not really one either, but I thought maybe it was time to define myself. But now I am in a situation where I have to start sorting myself out so I can find a new job.

Growing up in a rural area, I was a babysitter. A sole carer for 3 kids at night which included feeding, bathing and bedtime when I was just 16. A holiday au-pair for two different families, one with twins another with triplets. Then I moved to the UK for university.

Last summer I used to take care of two children in the morning 4 days a week, another family of three in the afternoon 3 days a week. I also lived with my extended family, which meant helping with a varying amount of children.

Now I am looking for another job for the summer, with a possible live -in position but I don't know what to say in my CV. I have always worked really hard and taken on a lot of responsibilities, but it seems that I do a bit more than au-pairs usually but I am not a nanny. Just the overly-helpful daughter of a midwife who has been helping moms for way too many years seems like the wrong way to describe myself but it is how I sort of feel.

Any advice on what I should say/do?

VimFuego101 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:09:01

I don't see anything wrong with calling yourself a nanny. Would 'mothers help' work?

Akire Mon 27-Mar-17 12:12:07

Au pair suggests foreign worker over here to learn English. U would say/baby sitter. You are not qualified but you can say that Your C v.

To me au pair gets room lodgings and pocket money, you want an actual job!

nannynick Mon 27-Mar-17 13:12:42

You have experience. Do you have any formal training?

Why not call yourself a nanny?

NannyR Mon 27-Mar-17 13:17:58

I would say you are a nanny - you have experience of looking after children sole charge.

Yukbuck Mon 27-Mar-17 13:48:31

You are a nanny (are you working in the children's home?)

JoJoSM2 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:25:55

Call yourself a nanny. An au pair conjures up an image of a clueless 18-year-old with limited English. You only have a bit of experience and no relevant qualifications (as far as I can see) but then not all nannies do. Potential employers will look at your background to see if they consider you qualified/experienced enough for their liking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now