Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder - hospital appointment

(6 Posts)
twinkle1990 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:41:21

Just wanted opinions on how other childminders dealt with any hospital appointments and how parents felt about having to have time off for such things (especially if there isn't much notice)

Previously, I have always asked parents if they minded me taking their children along to appts rather than having to take time off - but unfortunately this time I won't be able to (so I don't drip feed - I'm having an ultrasound to find cause of unexplained bleeding)I will need to book my appointment tomorrow, which will.need to be within the next 2 weeks according to the letter, between 8-4.

Does anybody know how it works contractually - I normally give 4 weeks notice for days off, but obviously this is a bit different. I'm hoping I will only need a couple of hours off.

Maryann1975 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:57:48

Do you have a childminder friend who could help you out? I've helped other cms for this kind of cover before. Or less than ideal but do you have a trusted family member who could come with you and sit in the waiting room for 10 minutes with the children while you have your appointment? My dh had sat with a child while I had an emergency filling before. Parent was fine about it, meant they didn't have to take the afternoon off to cover me.
If you don't have any options, you just have to take an emergency day off for the app, apologise and tell the parents you aren't available for that session/hours/whatever. My parents have been reasonably understanding for family emergencies and funerals etc.

Scarfmaker Sun 19-Mar-17 22:27:25

It's hard juggling when you're a childminder I agree, but sometimes you have to put your own health first.

I've had a few health issues over the past couple of years and have taken minded children to appointments (parents know this) but there's some times you just need to focus on your own life and health.

Willow2017 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:45:25

Some things cannot be helped, you need to have the appointment so tell the parents when you get the appointment details.

If there is no other cm who can cover for you its not your fault, I am sure parents have to take time off for appointments once in a while, we cant dictate when hospitals can see us.

I have never had a problem with parents when I have had to have a hospital appointment for me or the kids.

insancerre Mon 20-Mar-17 06:57:28

Can you try to get your appointment as late as possible so that your parents only have to leave work early and not take the whole day off?

jannier Tue 21-Mar-17 17:16:31

You have to put yourself first over things like this book your appointment trying to make it as easy for them as possible, although in my experience this is normally changed by the hospital and tell them as soon as you can if you have friends that can help (cm's obviously) ask the parents if they would like this. Then you have done all you can do, It is one thing that can not be helped.

Hope your okay. I think I would make the appointment as soon as possible as worrying isn't good for anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now