Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder vs nursery -siblings

(8 Posts)
needtomovesomewherewarmer Wed 15-Mar-17 21:04:43

I know this has been asked about a miluins tubes before (I think I've probably read them all blush ) but I'm struggling to make a choice.

I have 3 children and planning my return to work. Dc1 is at school. Dc2 is 3 will be almost 4 when I return but will have a year to wait till school and dc3 will be 1. So I'm looking for childcare for dc2&3. Dc 1 will probably used before and after school club.

Dc 2 has previously been to a nursery for about 2 years this stopped when I went on Mat leave. we can return to a nursery (different but excellent) or use a childminder that we like but that is busy (4 or 5 Pre school or younger children plus another 4ish after school). Child minder seems like the best option for baby but possibly not for dc2. Dc 2 is extremely social and confident.

Views anyone?

Notagainmun Wed 15-Mar-17 22:17:39

Does the childminder have an assistant or does she have the preschool and babies on different days? Just wondering about her ratios.

harridan50 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:18:57

Live out nanny

HSMMaCM Wed 15-Mar-17 22:51:41

Visit both and see what is best for your children. I have siblings aged 1 & 4 at the moment. The older one starts school in September and will return in the holidays. There are 2 of us, so sometimes we split the children by age for activities.

ThermoScan Wed 15-Mar-17 22:53:29

I would seriously look at nannies in this scenario

Lovelilies Wed 15-Mar-17 23:15:36

I'm in the same position though DC3 is 9m. We're trying a childminder. Well, there's the lady, her husband and her sister and quite a few kids!
Hoping DC settle with them, they've come highly recommended.
Good luck smile

jannier Thu 16-Mar-17 07:57:43

Out of interest why do you think your eldest is not going to get as much from a cm because they are more social? Has she said she does not network or go out?

Maryann1975 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:48:38

I would say childminder, partly because I think it is so lovely for siblings to be together and experience things activities/outings/day to day life together. I would try to get the oldest one in with the same cm too if possible, even if term time only. I cm for siblings and it's really rewarding to see them together and have that close bond. The little one gets excited every day when we go to pick her sister up. Only my personal opinion but I do think a sibling bond is quite important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now