Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Taking nursery 1-1 on holiday

(25 Posts)
Kanga59 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:40:23

My son has a 1-1 at nursery because he has additional needs. We are looking to book a week away to Gran Canaria in June and I would like to invite his 1-1 to come along too to provide childcare and help at the airport.

What sort of hours would you say are reasonable to ask of her, in terms of help per day. And day off? Should we pay her wages as well as pay for her to come?

I was thinking 6 hours in the day. And babysitting 5 nights. And helping at the airport.

input much appreciated, thanks

PotteringAlong Mon 13-Mar-17 20:44:56

i would check with either nursery or her first that the terms of her / their contract allow her to do paid work for nursery parents outside of her contract.

You will need to pay her wages as well as pay for all expenses - working 6 hours a day plus babysitting for 5 nights is not exactly a jolly.

Littlefish Mon 13-Mar-17 20:46:34

I think this request would be almost certainly be turned down. It would be inappropriate for someone who works with your child in a professional setting to be going on holiday with you.

If he/she does go with you then you should be paying for the whole time they are with you, not just the hours they are working directly with your child. This will not be a holiday for them. They will have to use a week's holiday from work. If it is a school based nursery, they will not be able to take the time off.

user1483387154 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:46:38

You would definitely need to pay wages as it is not a holiday for her, you are expecting her to work!
You should talk through hours with her but I would not expect her to work more than she is normally employed to do, if you want this then you need to discuss overtime payments. She would also be entitled to 2 unpaid days off per week or overtime payment if she would agree to this.

jellyandsoup Mon 13-Mar-17 20:46:46

I think 5 nights babysitting plus 6 hours a day (every day?) Is a bit much I would want a bitpre time.off than that. Yes you would see need to pay her wages too, this would not be a holiday for her.
Do you even know if she would do it? Also she may not be allowed to, alot of nurseries have clauses in staffs contracts that they cannot nanny for nursery clients.

Fluffy24 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:46:50

I think you'd still need to pay her for the hours she's working, whether in day or evening. Although theoretically she gets a trip out of it she isn't able to go with her friends or family to do things with (and she may have costs associated with being away e.g. getting a passport, suitable clothes, or needing boarding for a dog or something) so i don't think you can really value the 'holiday' bit much. She is also likely to need to use up statutory holiday from her employer in order to go and work for you for a week.

PotteringAlong Mon 13-Mar-17 20:47:26

So, 6 hours in the day plus 3 hours at night? So 9 hours a day for 5 days and 6 hours for 2? 57 hours in total. I reckon a minimum of £10 an hour so work round it up to £600 to pay her.

SavoyCabbage Mon 13-Mar-17 20:48:56

You definitely need to pay her wages. She'd be working harder than she would be in her proper job.

Snap8TheCat Mon 13-Mar-17 20:49:36

Of course you need to pay her! Did you think she'd happily do it as a favour? And use up her annual leave from her job. Hahaha

baytreebalm Mon 13-Mar-17 20:49:51

Or you could just spend time with your DS without help....

jellyandsoup Mon 13-Mar-17 20:49:57

Also where do you plan on her staying, asssume she will have her own space, either own room an bathroom in villa or separate apartment. You need to be sure you can make sure that when she's not working she will have some peace.

NapQueen Mon 13-Mar-17 20:50:54

*Should we pay her wages as well as pay for her to come?*

This cannot be a serious question!?!

insancerre Mon 13-Mar-17 20:51:39

Do you employ this person to provide the 1-1 at the nursery?

WigglyWooWorm Mon 13-Mar-17 20:53:42

Wow. Are you serious?
She'd need her own room and yes pay for a week plus extra for the fact she's away from home. I certainly wouldn't expect her to babysit 5 nights!!!!!

FilledSoda Mon 13-Mar-17 20:55:26

OF COURSE YOU WOULD PAY HER !!!!!!!
If she agreed to come ,which is doubtful, she would be telling you her rates anyway.
Do you know how patronising you sound?

PuntCuffin Mon 13-Mar-17 20:59:42

pottering plus travel days 'helping at the airport', plus any associated costs. I reckon it's got to be closer to £1k given that she loses a week of her AL, if she is even allowed to do it.

insancerre Mon 13-Mar-17 21:17:10

I very much doubt she will be allowed to go
I doubt very much that she would want to go either

underneaththeash Mon 13-Mar-17 21:29:47

This holiday nanny agency

www.mytravellingnanny.co.uk

suggests £325 for 5 hrs 6 days per week, plus 2 babysits. I would certainly run it past the nursery manager as others have suggested before asking her as it may not be allowed under the terms of your contract.

JigglyTuff Mon 13-Mar-17 21:34:28

Are you basically planning on having a child free holiday? Why don't you leave him at home?

AgentProvocateur Mon 13-Mar-17 21:37:51

Why don't you leave your child at home with family?

NerrSnerr Mon 13-Mar-17 22:06:41

Of course you have to pay her. I'd be very surprised if the nursery would allow this, or as others have said- I doubt she'll want to.

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 13-Mar-17 22:14:51

Should we pay her wages as well as pay for her to come

No just the opportunity to go to Gran Canaria will be enough, I'm sure hmm

nannynick Mon 13-Mar-17 22:30:46

I used to work in retail and had paid trips abroad. I would be paid for the entire length of the time I was away from home. I would get all expenses paid, such as all regular meals, except for minor top-up things like chocolate.

I don't see what you are proposing as being any different to a business trip... you are wanting someone to leave their home and be with you for a week (possibly more depending on travel arrangements). There will be times during that business trip that they are working and times when they are free to relax, do as they like. The salary may reflect a bit on how much freetime there is but not to a large extent, as they are still away from home and very limited in what they can. It's not a holiday for them... they are there to work.

>What sort of hours would you say are reasonable to ask of her, in terms of help per day.

Anything is possible but I would focus on the times you need the most help. That may mean that their working day starts early afternoon and finishes early evening... so they can accompany you on an afternoon trip and provide evening care.
What sort of things would you want them doing? They are in a foreign country, they won't know what to do there and may have limited resources - so you will need to plan with them about suitable activities, outings, that sort of thing.

>And day off?
Yes, they should have time off... travel days are working days, so without any day off they could be working 7 days in a row or more.
As they are away from home, I would suggest that is a paid day off... normal salary. You could argue that it should be unpaid but you want this person to come with you, so you need to give them incentive to do so.

>Should we pay her wages as well as pay for her to come?
Yes, all usual wages are due for all days including travel days. An out-of-country allowance may also be applicable, to help give incentive for them to come.

>I was thinking 6 hours in the day. And babysitting 5 nights. And helping at the airport.

Babysitting 5 nights seems a bit extreme. Is that all the nights you would be away? Working say 1pm-9pm could work but doing say 9am-3pm then 7pm-9pm may not be so attractive. It depends on the person but you need to consider what they would be willing to do and plan it all well in advance (plus you all need to be prepared to adapt that plan once there, as things may not turn out the way you plan).

Do you currently employ this 1:1 helper? If not, then I am not sure how you would go about having them come with you, as their employer may not be happy about them taking the time off. If they took it as holiday from their job, then worked for you, it's not really them taking holiday. They would need to be happy with the situation... they may prefer to be on holiday themselves, than to work whilst on holiday from their job.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Mar-17 07:26:56

Obv you have to pay her. Sure you didn't mean you wouldn't

She may not be able to go depending on her contract with Nureyev tho if one to one then wouldn't make any diff to their ratio

Going on holiday with a family is not a holiday for the nanny /carer

Working a few hours daily plus babysitting every night is fine as long as discussed at beginning

Tho also be nice to include her in the odd meal out

How old is your dc and what are their needs!

wizzywig Fri 31-Mar-17 22:20:54

Wow yes you would pay her. I know when ive taken my nanny with us, many parents are shocked that she gets paid. They think that the nanny is getting a free holiday if the nanny is on holiday, no she is working. Im bloody grateful to have that extra pair of hands. We scrimp and save to ensure we can have the help and always work together to arrange the hours worked so that she can recharge her batteries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now