Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny holiday allowance

(7 Posts)
JeewizzJen Fri 10-Mar-17 21:13:56

I'm trying to sort out a new nanny contract. Is it normal practice to start the year's holiday accrual rolling from the month they start, or run a Jan-Dec thing? Any reason why one would be better than another?

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 21:59:31

5.6 weeks is Statutory Minimum.
I don't see any reason for why 1st Jan to 31st Dec is any better or worse than the holiday year starting on the start of employment.
The key thing is to write down when the holiday year starts and ends.

FreeButtonBee Fri 10-Mar-17 22:12:07

I find it easier to do calendar year. Not quite sure why because my work hols don't run the same! But DH's hols do and I still think on calendar year terms when I consider hols as a family.

caroldecker Fri 10-Mar-17 22:27:03

Jan-Dec tends to be easier for everyone to calculate and remember. Accrual will start from day one anyway, so no impact on total holidays, more when they can take them.
Also ensure you clarify how much holiday the nanny can choose and how much you dictate and notice periods both ways.

Callaird Sat 11-Mar-17 00:16:22

If you do Jan 1st - Dec 31st and she starts during the year you have all the faff of pro rata ing her holiday. You cannot round down but you can give her the actual amount or round up. All (9) of my jobs have started holiday on start date, makes it easier all round I think. We write all holidays on the calendar then in January we write all the used holiday on the front page of the new calendar so we know where we stand. Although my bosses always take way more holiday than their 2 weeks!!

JeewizzJen Sat 11-Mar-17 09:39:18

Great, thanks for the replies all. I'd rather stick to Jan-Dec as that's when mine run at work, but this nanny has a requirement up front for a one off chunk of holiday later in the year which would pretty much use up all her accrued pro-rata'd holiday up until January. Just wanted to check if there was a standard before i discuss further with her. smile

JeewizzJen Sat 11-Mar-17 09:39:19

Great, thanks for the replies all. I'd rather stick to Jan-Dec as that's when mine run at work, but this nanny has a requirement up front for a one off chunk of holiday later in the year which would pretty much use up all her accrued pro-rata'd holiday up until January. Just wanted to check if there was a standard before i discuss further with her. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now