Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just found out nanny is due in 3 months

(29 Posts)
smearedinfood Fri 10-Mar-17 12:41:22

My rather lovely nanny found out she was unexpectedly pregnant. And I’ve just found out the due date. Happy for her, but I’m having ‘a moment’ about childcare now. She’s due in 3 months, she’s worked for me for about 5 months. There’s a four week window where she could go into labour. Plus she will need time off after giving birth. DS2 is due to start nursery in September. We haven’t talked about time off or double buggies or anything. Where to start?

HakeLively Fri 10-Mar-17 12:45:04

Are you just assuming she'll come back with her child soon after the birth? Have you discussed that with her?

SaltyMyDear Fri 10-Mar-17 12:46:04

Congratulations to her!

This could work out really well for both of you. My nanny had a baby when my youngest was 1. So she ended up looking after 4 preschoolers!

The benefits for me was that she was very loyal. It was not easy for her to get another job so she stayed with me for 5 years till I no longer needed a nanny! Which was brilliant.

Start by talking time off. Double buggies are easy and quick to sort smile

And you'll have to talk to someone about her maternity pay.

NerrSnerr Fri 10-Mar-17 12:46:39

How much maternity leave is she planning on taking?

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 13:02:47

She needs to provide you with a copy of her MAT B1 and you need to pass that to your payroll provider urgently.
They can then determine if she qualifies for SMP or needs to claim Maternity Allowance.
Check with your payroll provider about what charges they make for running payroll for a temp maternity cover nanny - some charge extra, some don't.

Think about what changes to the job role can be made to lessen the load a bit in the weeks before your nanny starts maternity leave.

Start recruiting temp maternity cover childcare - they would be in a temp contract with a notice period of under 8 weeks, as your nanny needs to give you 8 weeks notice of when they wish to return to work.

smearedinfood Fri 10-Mar-17 13:05:02

I haven't discussed it with her yet. So we will need to have a chat.

Just looking for some sage advice before we go to discuss. This was a bit unexpected for her as well.

I had a bit of a bad experience with a previous nanny so I was really happy when she started working for me, as it works so well. But also wondering about logistics.

Yukbuck Fri 10-Mar-17 13:30:36

Will she not want to take normal mat leave? I'm a nanny and as much as I hope that I will take my future child to work with me, I can't think of anything worse than going back almost immediately!
In which case, you can find a temp nanny to cover the period that your current nanny is off for.

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 14:11:09

You need to assume she will take a year off. She may not though and she may be happy to discuss the possibility of brining her child to work with her. You must not pressure her in any way to come back to work sooner than taking full maternity leave, that needs to be her choice.

smearedinfood Fri 10-Mar-17 15:24:22

That's what I'm thinking Nannynick, babies are a lot more work than you remember. I will be seeing her at the school gate after the baby comes so I need to be sensitive.

ImperialBlether Fri 10-Mar-17 15:26:50

You can't give a year's maternity leave to someone who's been caring for your child for only five months!

ImperialBlether Fri 10-Mar-17 15:27:37

So she was pregnant when she started working for you, wasn't she? Do you think she was unaware of that?

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 10-Mar-17 15:32:49

I wouldn't want a nanny with her own baby. I wouldn't want to get a temp to cover maternity leave for someone who had only worked for me for 5 months.

I do believe in maternity rights but I would put consistency of care for my children first.

smearedinfood Fri 10-Mar-17 15:51:43

A cousin of my husband didn't know she was pregnant until 5 months, so its not unheard of. She said it was a surprise and I accepted it at face value. It looks like we can claim mat leave back off the government. I just hate looking for new childcare as I had a bad experience with the nanny prior.

smearedinfood Fri 10-Mar-17 16:07:56

Just trying to google what we should her pay her, as we don't use a payroll company, we just pay her tax, NI and pension contributions. Does anyone know of a link we could use?

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 16:54:08

Use the info from the MAT B1 and start here: https://www.gov.uk/employers-maternity-pay-leave/entitlement
Use the SMP calculator.
Chances are she won't qualify for SMP.

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 17:14:42

Info about pension contributions whilst employee is on maternity leave: http://ukpensionsautoenrolment.co.uk/maternity-leave-and-auto-enrolment/

Looks to me that if they do not quality for SMP then you can stop pension contribution.

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 17:18:02

Whilst on maternity leave, holiday entitlement is still built up.
http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4289
ACAS are probably also worth calling with any queries you have regarding your nannies work rights whilst on maternity leave.

bbcessex Fri 10-Mar-17 19:44:11

You can claim back statutory maternity pay but you can't claim back holiday pay, which is accrued during mat leave. We had to pay one of our nannies almost 1800 in holiday when she fell pregnant almost immediately after joining us (we were unhappy with her for a number of reasons which is why it still rankles! ).

If nanny was pregnant when she started with you, she's not eligible for smp but probably eligible for maternity allowance which is direct from government, if I recall.

PowerPantsRule Fri 10-Mar-17 21:41:02

What happens in this circumstance - when the nanny has been there fro only five months? I have had three nannies get pregnant whilst in our employ, but all had been there for over two years.

Each of the above nannies told me they would be taking minimal maternity leave and would be back to work within two or three months. In fact, they all took maximum maternity leave! So do be aware that nannies can say one thing and then find it too difficult to leave their baby, think about how you would cover in that situation.

OVienna Sat 11-Mar-17 14:13:00

I have the same question as you powerpants*

I am afraid I am that person who very much doubts this nanny had no idea she was pregnant. Are you saying she's over 25 wks?

How many hours is the nursery your son is going to in September?

I suspect she'll be on maternity allowance - not sure how that works and if the same rules apply wrt leaving the job open. But in a year's time you may need rather a different form of childcare.

I love the solution proposed up thread :"take time off." confusedWe have no idea what the OP does or how feasible this is.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 11-Mar-17 14:26:20

It actually says "talk time off" not take time off... I misread it wrongly the first time too

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 11-Mar-17 14:35:56

I do believe in maternity rights but I would put consistency of care for my children first

Legally the op does have to give certain rights though, she doesn't have a choice.

I know how you feel though.... This put me off hiring a Nanny and we use a Childminder instead.

It is very difficult though as obviously Nannies have the same right to enjoy having babies as everyone else.

OVienna Sun 12-Mar-17 11:42:00

I agree hopelessly - it's really got to be one rule for one, one rule for all. I am from the US where maternity rights are worse than third world, for many women. No one would want that here.

I think what I would find irksome in this situation is that I would struggle to believe the nanny really didn't know she was pregnant. So I would sort of feel misled and that she saw an opp for herself and didn't mind I'd be landed with an administrative and logistical headache (paperwork, disruption to my child's care, and financial) which would last for longer (a year) than the time she was even able to work for me in the first place. It's not the same as taking a job and quitting after a short period of time. TBF, the OP doesn't seem bothered by this. I once employed a temp nanny who was ill for a month of a four month contract so it's something I am sensitive about.

OVienna Sun 12-Mar-17 11:46:12

That should say ill with a pre-existing medical condition (with the possibility of surgery during the months she was working with us) she didn't disclose at interview.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Mar-17 07:48:48

So she's due June ish

Was 16ish weeks when started working for you and didn't know she was preg

She won't get smp but will get ma

She may want to take whole year off and that's her right as an employed person

Why would you see her at school gates ? Does she have an older child as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now